I'm surprised there's an HDMI port on the RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smiller4128, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Smiller4128 macrumors member

Im not sure of course but I vaguely remember Steve Jobs saying something along the lines that HDMI was pretty much like a Blu-Ray Drive in the fact that he was never going to incorporate it into any Apple Design. Im surprised they included an HDMI port into the RMBP design. Not that I'm unhappy by any means, I'm actually quite excited about it...just unexpected

2. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I'm surprised that they put HDMI because I thought they were going to try and shove thunderbolt down our throats. Same for USB 3.

3. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I think they sensibly did this to allow a display to be still connected whilst using ethernet/firewire dongles on thunderbolt, no other display connector would fit, without confusing the issue.

usb 3 is no surprise though, as they effectively get it for free with latest chipset.

4. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Probably decided to implement it after he died...yeah i know it sounds harsh. But he was pretty against HDMI.

consumer demand - main reason they included it, because currently 1% of Macbook users are even using those thunderbolt ports! HDMI was long overdue.

5. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I'm no expert, but based on some of the comments I've read regarding GT 650M, 1GB video ram could have been easily achievable but Apple purposely stuck with 512MB, probably asked nvidia to specifically make it that way.

So I'm just saying it's probably not past apple to specifically ask intel to provide USB 2 versions.

6. JorisTheWise macrumors newbie

I think the HDMI port is a subtle hint for a future television created by Apple.

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Apple chooses how many and what kind of video ram chips get soldered onto the logic board. They aren't built into the GPU chip. Extra video ram actually costs them (slightly) more money. The USB 3 support however is built right into the Ivy Bridge controller chips and doesn't cost Apple anything extra.

8. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

when did he say that? there has been HDMI in the mac mini for long time.

9. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

I was surprised by the addition of an HDMI port on the new MacBook Pro too. With high-speed ports like Thunderbolt, you would think that they would just sell a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter, and perhaps include an extra Thunderbolt port on the computer. However, I remember reading something a while ago saying that part of the HDMI spec disallows adapters, and everything should be HDMI to HDMI only. Any adapters that you see out there being made are not conforming to the specification and are not "official".

I think the best reason I've heard so far for the addition of the HDMI port is from earlier in this thread:

It would allow for easy connections to an AppleTV when wireless isn't available.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How do you explain the HDMI ports in earlier Macs?

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Clearly, they hid them from Jobs.

12. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

not in the least....if a tv ever does come out, wireless streaming will be their focus....hence airplay would probably be built in.