Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
WTf? Telling me I may have some functional and time limitations. Sucks:mad:

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Isnt that a part of my data plan?
IM+ is an app you buy from the App Store. Not all apps are free. Sounds like you downloaded IM+ Lite, a feature-limited version of IM+ you can try before you buy the full version. There are free IM clients out there (AIM is free), but I don't think there are any free multi-protocol clients.

And no, while your data plan covers all the data used in sending IMs, AT&T isn't going to buy you commercial IM software. That's silly.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Anyways, Beejive is superior to IM+.

Also, don't pirate apps. It's not cool.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Anyways, Beejive is superior to IM+.

Also, don't pirate apps. It's not cool.
I wouldn't jump to conclusions. BeejiveIM has shown me piracy related errors before and I bought the application when it was first released. My phone isn't even jailbroken.

Piracy prevention is necessary, but isn't perfect. :D

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
I wouldn't jump to conclusions. BeejiveIM has shown me piracy related errors before and I bought the application when it was first released. My phone isn't even jailbroken.

I wasn't laying into him. :)

I'm just assuming.. if he comes in otherwise and says he isn't jailbroken, then we can help him.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA

I think both you and Clete2 miss the point: he didn't buy or pirate this app, and what he's reading is not a piracy warning. He said he didn't pay for IM+; in fact, he thinks it's included in his data plan! What he's done is download IM+ Lite, and he's posting on here complaining about the Lite version's restrictions ("functional" and "time" limitations). It's almost as silly as his thread complaining that Steve Jobs gets paid.

thep33t

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
the cops told me the Porsche I was driving was stolen, doesn't my Drivers License fee when I got it cover it?

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
I think both you and Clete2 miss the point: he didn't buy or pirate this app, and what he's reading is not a piracy warning. He said he didn't pay for IM+; in fact, he thinks it's included in his data plan! What he's done is download IM+ Lite, and he's posting on here complaining about the Lite version's restrictions ("functional" and "time" limitations). It's almost as silly as his thread complaining that Steve Jobs gets paid.
Possibly not. I don't see any time or functional limitations in IM+ Lite. I looked at it on the App store and all I see is this:

App Store said:
----
This is a free ad-supported version of IM+.
PLEASE NOTE: We do not send ads to your contacts. A small signature is added to IM once per week per dialog.
----

Boesky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
I wasn't laying into him. :)

I'm just assuming.. if he comes in otherwise and says he isn't jailbroken, then we can help him.
I am jailbroken and I installed the app via SSH, which was preinstalled on my iPhone

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
eBuddy is a free multi-protocol app I use myself. I suggest you do so too. Sounds like your copy of IM+ was indeed pirated.

iPhone 62S

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2009
with the new App store rules I think a lot of developers will lock out JB'd phones from using their services entirely.
If developers stopped jailbroken iPhones from buying their apps legally, what do you think the jailbroken iPhone users will do?

I myself don't pirate apps at all, but if developers where to block my phone from installing their app legally, I'd pirate it, and it'd serve that developer right for blocking potential customers from purchasing the app.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I am jailbroken and I installed the app via SSH, which was preinstalled on my iPhone
So you are not only admitting to piracy but you seem to be ignorant to the fact that SSH does not come pre-installed on iPhones. It was added by you during the jailbreaking process.

If you installed it via SSH instead of iTunes or the App store on the iPhone, you are running a pirated copy.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
with the new App store rules I think a lot of developers will lock out JB'd phones from using their services entirely.
If developers stopped jailbroken iPhones from buying their apps legally, what do you think the jailbroken iPhone users will do?

I myself don't pirate apps at all, but if developers where to block my phone from installing their app legally, I'd pirate it, and it'd serve that developer right for blocking potential customers from purchasing the app.
Exactly. I'd pirate apps if the developers were silly enough to take away the opportunity for me to buy them.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Haha.

Ok... Use SSH and remove the app you installed. Then buy it in the App Store. You'll find out that you won't be getting the message anymore!!!

I have no clue what you thought people were talking about when you asked about the data plan... But I'll explain the message to you...

IM+ was telling you that you have a pirated (Illegal/Stolen) copy of the app. This is because the copy you have is pirated (Illegal/Stolen) and not bought in the App Store. The message is NOT the iPhone telling you that you don't have Data Service.

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
Haha.

Ok... Use SSH and remove the app you installed. Then buy it in the App Store. You'll find out that you won't be getting the message anymore!!!

I have no clue what you thought people were talking about when you asked about the data plan... But I'll explain the message to you...

IM+ was telling you that you have a pirated (Illegal/Stolen) copy of the app. This is because the copy you have is pirated (Illegal/Stolen) and not bought in the App Store. The message is NOT the iPhone telling you that you don't have Data Service.
I wonder how he doesn't understand this concept when he understands what SSH is and how to use it....

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
I wonder how he doesn't understand this concept when he understands what SSH is and how to use it....
That's the issue with people jailbreaking right now... They blindly follow tutorials and have no clue what they are doing.

OP probably never changed his default password! :p

Nice avatar BTW :D

Status
Not open for further replies.