I'm the admin and I can't get into any other accounts! Even the guest account HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by firenice86, Feb 6, 2010.

1. firenice86 macrumors newbie

So I am the admin on my computer and for some reason I cannot access ANY other account on my computer, I can't even get into the guest account that isn't even password protected. When I try to open a folder it says I don't have privileges to do so. Also when I go to the users folder the other users don't show up. What can I do so that I can have access to these accounts? Please help this is so frustrating that I can't control MY computer.:mad:

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The system is behaving properly. Is there any particular reason you would want to?

3. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

What @BlueRevolution said ^

Also...

What exactly happens when you go into System Preferences > accounts?

Are you able to see the accounts and change the passwords?

More details would help.

4. firenice86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well one because it's my computer, shouldn't i be able to access what I want? If I put something from a different user into the shared folder I would like to be able to access ( get the stuff) it from my account. Isn't that what the shared account is for?

When I go into the accounts under system preferences I can change my password, but not that of other accounts. Is this really how this is supposed to work? What's the point of being admin if you can't oversee/ access all accounts?

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

If you can't change accounts, then you aren't an admin. Remember, you have to click the lock on the bottom to make changes.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

To modify other accounts, you have to click the padlock in the lower-left corner of the window.

Damn reading comprehension.

7. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

He is talking about there user folders.

OP you can not get in to them because its not your user folder. You have to use the drop box (Not the app drop box but under User:/public/dropbox) if you want to share files with other people on your computer.