Im Thinking Its Time To Break Up With Sprint...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sup3rknova, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Sup3rknova macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

My wife and I have been with Sprint for a good 6+ years now. Broken promises, crappy data, etc...Verizon wont require a deposit. I did enjoy the unlimited data but enough is enough with the slowness. Should I wait for the iPhone "next model" or snag a couple iPhone 5's now? Seems like alot of rumors are flying around and nothing is too concrete. Thoughts?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Took you a while to realize:D
    Up to you if you can wait. Next iphone could be out within a month or so.

3. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

I KNOW I KNOW!!!! LOL
    I can wait I suppose. Think it'll be a big jump between the 5's and new models?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I doubt it will be that much of a jump from the current iPhone 5 but since we're so close to the next iphone release I'd hold off another month or 2 tops.
    The iPhone 5 was announced and released in September.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You might have a look here. Riverside is at 62% of NV buildout (3G) and 12% LTE. Expected finish is around January.

Also here, and here.

I'm not saying stay if Sprint can't meet your needs, but this information may help in your decision making.

6. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Wow never knew about this site. Good info and definitely some things to consider.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, S4GRU has some good info. If you donate you can get access to their sponsor maps, tower permits, etc. There's a lot of stuff there.

Be warned that they are not a Sprint rant site. They bring the banhammer down pretty quick if someone expresses a less than positive opinion of Sprint. That's one of the reasons I have never registered there. My first post would probably get me banned.

But I check there multiple times a day for the publicly available info.

8. Sup3rknova thread starter macrumors regular

Sup3rknova

Ya thanks! I wouldnt bash em...Just want some real positive answers. lol
    Can you kind of explain this though? lol Not sure what it all means? I assume it means by January 2014 my iPhone 4 data should be a bit faster? :D

Riverside/San Bernardino
    NV Sites Accepted = 62%
    LTE Sites Accepted = 12%
    Anticipated LTE Launch = Fall 2013
    Original Scheduled Completion = October 2013
    Current Production Rate Completion = January 2014

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm no expert, so here's what I've picked up at S4GRU. Don't quote me on it.
    GMO is Ground Mount Option. That's a cell site that's been installed on the ground. Full Builds means towers that are getting EVERYTHING replaced. New cabinets, new equipment. Everything on 38,000 towers is being replaced.
    62% of the towers in the Riverside/SB market have been upgraded to Network Vision 3G. The NV 3G is 3G that is connected to fiber, not the old T1 lines. That means faster backhaul which means increased 3G speeds above what the old 3G was capable of.

However, some NV work may have been done, but because backhaul (fiber) wasn't available to hook up at the time Sprint had to leave it connected to the old T1s. The vendor will come back and hook it up once the fiber has been laid in.

12% of LTE means that 12% of the total towers in the market have receieved the LTE upgrades, are hooked up to fiber and are broadcasting LTE. Sprint is turning on each tower as it goes, so as this number increases both speed and network capacity will increase over time.

Note that ALL tower upgrades are receiveing BOTH 3G and LTE upgrades.
    Anticipated Launch Date is the original date that Sprint/S4GRU expected Sprint to announce the market as "launched." Note that Sprint has a funny way of "launching" a market when it's not "complete." There's LTE, but when people hear the word "launched" they are expecting it to be everywhere and that usually isn't the case.

Original Scheduled Completeion is the date that the vendor expected to complete all the upgrade work.

Current Production Rate Completion means that at the current rate of speed S4GRU expects the market to be complete at this time. Note that this fluctuates heavily.

Lastly, note that Sprint is NOT doing any of this work. They have contracted with Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson and Samsung. Further, those vendors contract with the fiber backhaul providers for fiber. Depending on the market, those vendors can be AT&T and Verizon. You can only guess just how eager those last two vendors are to deliver fiber to Sprint.

10. emoore macrumors regular

I don't think the 5S will be a huge jump over the 5 but it would be worth it to wait. You've waited this long. I'm counting the days until my contract with Sprint is up (10/6) and am going to switch to T-Mobile or AT&T. Sprints speed are bad near me and have only gotten worse over the last year or so. It's ridiculous.

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'd wait for the iPhone 5s at this point. Even if the upgrade is minimal you're still getting more for your money.

Also, maybe Sprint will build out LTE in your area by then. You've waited this long, and I read in a thread not long ago that Sprint revised the unlimited data plan for new customers to include possible throttling. You're grandfathered I believe. If you go to Verizon you'll have a data cap that you'll hit pretty quick if you're used to unlimited. Just a thought anyway--good luck with whatever you decide.

12. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

An all you can eat buffet with nothing but fresh steaming turds is not a great deal at any price. Point is sprint is so slow on data speed unlimited = nothing. I'd rather pay for att and get fast data .

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    Sprint is worthless.

14. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I would wait it out a bit longer as previously said Network Vision upgrades are on-going and service should be improving shortly for your area.

15. ogremoustro macrumors 6502a

ogremoustro

REALLY worthless. In my area in LA the NV upgrades did nada. My speeds are the same with incredibly high pings.

16. CEmajr macrumors 601

I agree. All true

17. Soulman macrumors member

Soulman

Liberate yourself, Leave Now!

I'd do it now and not look back. On a birthday several years ago when Cingular was about to merge with AT&T, I was expecting salutations and well wishes my call kept going to voice mail, while it was on the charger apparently dropping in and out of service. I missed out on a couple of "would you like to meet me for libations". They gave me poor excuses about kids damaged the tower, had me update firmware, hung up on me and gave me some of the same BS I'd heard before over the years. I got in my corolla and signed up with cingular, whom I knew was would be bought out by another company. All I knew is that I was breaking up with her!

P.S. I'm still my aforementioned new girl and we are Happy Together:D

18. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

"it's not you sprint it's me"

"I will always remember your unlimited data, but not your speeds"

"you will always have a special place in my mind and heart sprint"

:confused: