I'm thinking of buying a new laptop - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jessica Lares, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I want a Windows based laptop to replace my aging MacBook Pro and refuse to buy another until Apple comes up with a new design (I don't go well with the aluminum), what are some good laptops I could get that are around $400-600 and can take RAM/hard drive upgrades?

I like DELL, Sony, and Toshiba the most.

And I'd like to have color options. :p.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Will you be using windows or OSX on this non-apple laptop. IF you decide to turn it into a hackintosh, you want to be careful of the hardware you choose.

Personally, I'd look at apple again. I built a desktop and ran windows for a while with OSX within vmware. I got so tired of the hassles windows gives, in that I went completely to the hackintosh route. There's something to be said with the ease of use and polish of OSX. You could get a macbook (non-pro) since that's not aluminum.

Anyways, take a look at toshiba, I've heard good things from them.

3. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I want Windows 7, want to run CS5, and ProTools on it. Don't care if it's a bit slow, but that it runs them decently.

I have Macs, so am not looking to throw together a Hackintosh. This will simply be a machine I sit in the living room or outside with and edit my web design, film, and audio.

4. Matty-p macrumors regular

5. Matty-p macrumors regular

What abou the standard MacBook it's plastic not alu and its cheaper and you could buy second hand to fit your buget Or sell old MVP and buy new really spec'd up mb

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because it is not $400 - $500. :cool:

I'd go with the Dell series.

7. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I doubt you can find a laptop ~$500 that will run the apps mentioned by the OP. You need serious power and ram to run CS5. Even slowly. And who wants to run PhotoShop slowly?

I'm not slamming PCs here, just that you can't do what you want on a slim budget.

Dale

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

9. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Shut up, honestly.

I'm looking at either a DELL Mini, HP Mini, or an Acer Aspire One. I just want a little machine that can run Windows 7 and run those programs DECENTLY. They don't have to be mega fast or do backflips.

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

dell or if you dont mind spending around $800 get a vaio. a friend of mine has one and it runs CS4 very well.

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Gosh, I thought the little laugh smiley made it plain I was joking. :)

In my experience, I'd avoid Sony. I've had them and they were unreliable, hardware-wise. Dell has recently really taken a nosedive in terms of hardware and customer service.

I'd recommend a Toshiba, Lenovo, or Fujitsu. I can't say about Acer since I haven't used them, but they seem good.

There. All serious, honestly. :p

12. bainesajay macrumors member

Re: laptop

I would stay away from brand name since they put so much OEM junk on them. Including the bias/EFI. Brand name PC's are basically bargon hunters that put together parts that look good on paper. This is where I give Apple some credit. They put together parts that sort of work well with one another.

consider Asus, I ve had good experience with them.

13. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I had a Vaio, it was probably my favorite that had. I looked at the P and the next size series but thought it wasn't worth it at all. Not for the colors anyway.

I talked to a DELL person today who was helping me narrow stuff down, was really helpful. I've had at least 3 laptops and haven't had any issues.

I didn't really care for the Toshibas, don't really like the Acer keyboard either. The fact that some of these have the Num Pad on the side really put me off.

So it's either the DELL or HP mini.

14. Xavier macrumors 68020

You are looking for these types of computers and want to be able to run Pro Tools?

Good luck lol

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

That's optimistic.

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

You may also want to consider an Asus. Their laptops come with a 2-year global warranty that includes spills, drops, etc. I had a couple of their laptops and I was reasonably pleased with them. I wouldn't venture out as far as stating that they come close to an MBP (which they don't, in my humble opinion), but you made your preference clear.

17. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yes, I'm pretty sure I could get the M version to run. It only needs 1GB min. But that was just an example.

And I only have 1GB to run CS5 and have no issues at all, so I'm staying at that.

And thanks for the heads up about the warranty that ASUS has.

18. Foreign Feeling macrumors member

From my experience Sony and Dell are the weakest out of them all. When I bought a Sony laptop in 08 I was loaded with tons of bloatware. Dell's customer service was terrible to imo when I called about a broken pixel on the screen. Try Toshiba or Asus. I actually don't know much about Asus, but my sister has a Toshiba laptop for college and it works really well.

19. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I can just about run Pro Tools 7 LE (latest version is 8) on my Macbook of a year old, with 4GB of RAM, and even then sometimes the program has to stop mid-recording because it's not getting enough power, which can be quite irritating.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You want one of those mini laptops, and you want to run ProTools?

Have you considered a Lenovo X100?? It's cheap, tiny, and would be better than a Dell Mini or Acer Aspire One.

And I don't really know American prices for things, so forgive me if my suggestion went over budget.

21. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

LOL, ok, ok. Maybe not ProTools, but a cheaper alternative. Although it worked fine on my MacBook Pro and these all have the same Ghz and RAM specs.

It's looking like I'll be getting that HP Mini, it's the cheapest and the minimum specs I absolutely want. I'm apparently getting another computer anyway, so this will be used on the side.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

what ever you buy, I'd suggest it has an i5/c2d cpu. Anything slower will hamper your efforts in running the software you delineated, i.e., too slow.

23. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Uhm, whut? Why get multiple machines?

24. Jessica Lares thread starter macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You think I could lug a Power Mac G5 around then? :D Still need the netbook.

I don't care about the power, If I need to run CS 4 or anything before, that's okay. I just want something that's new, is small to carry in my hands (or purse), and that has the typical built in.

I can always do remote desktop, put another few GB of memory or use that boost thing that Vista onwards has. Or, I could take my work into the cloud.

It's just that my MacBook Pro has a broken keyboard and while I love OS X, I need Windows 7 which my model can't run (the drivers won't work). There's no point in fixing my Mac when the same thing will happen anyway. I don't want to drop another $2,000 on a new Apple machine that has the same problems. I've had enough of the SuperDrive failing 3 times, the fan almost getting destroyed because of the fact that the Genius who worked on it accidentally let part of the clip chip off, and I've had to reinstall OS X a few times because of a kernel panic.

So, I'm trying to get something that's cheap, just to last me until Apple decides on a change. I have seen so many people struggle with their MacBooks because of the plastic, which really makes them unappealing to me. I had mine in a bag and like a month passed and then I noticed that my screen had bent for some reason... I don't want to have to deal with that again.

But yeah, I think I've settled on that HP, I'll probably go to Best Buy and have a look around though.

25. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I think you should get a mac.