I'm thinking of getting an iPhone 6+ and selling my 6.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thedeejay, Dec 24, 2014.

1. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Anyone here gone from a 6 to 6+? How's your experience with the phone? Initially I thought I would never want to get a 6+ but recently I've been very tempted to get one.

2. vmaniqui, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014

vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

i hear you. i was in your situation before. when i saw the 6+ at an apple store i said to myself "it's humungous and i can't picture myself holding that phone". 2 weeks after i got my 6 i decided to try the 6+. since we have the 14 day return policy, why not take advantage of that and see if i will like the 6+. had the 6+ for a good 2 weeks and decided that it's not what i like. my reason - it's so hard to hold and so difficult for a one handed usage. also i can't put it in my pockets without the iphone sticking out. but the battery life and the screen were so nice. if it was just a tad smaller, it could have been the perfect phone. seeing that i may not be able to accommodate it's shortcomings i decided to return it before the 14th day. so i got the 6 again and man - this 6 is so small but totally a one handed phone than the 6+. mind you, after a day with the 6 i jumped right into my car and speed up to the nearest Apple store and return it only to get the 6+ again. had the plus since then and loving it every minute. i agree with everyone here that this is not a portable phone in all aspects and definitely not a one handed iphone. but it only has one disadvantage over the regular 6 - it's size. and the advantages outweighs the disadvantages. battery life, screen size, full HD, some nice pictures (landscape mode in email, etc.) plus the WOW factor you'll get from people - WOW that's so big :) .so this is the only one question you should ask yourself - do you want portability in a phone ? if that's your no. 1 criteria then the plus is definitely not for you. but trust me, you will love the plus and will be able to make do with it's size as far as usage is concern. i am not a big/tall guy and i don't have the biggest fingers but i can use my plus one handed for calling and texting. it's a challenge and it's doable.

3. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I'm actually upgrading from a 5 today. I'm planning on going with the 6. I think jumping from the 5 to the 6+ would be too much of a "form factor shock". My plan is to get the 6, then sell and upgrade to the 6s+(?) next year, or wait and upgrade to the 7+ in 2 years. Hopefully by then they will be able to cut down on the bezel size and keep the same screen dimensions so the phone as a whole will be smaller while retaining the same size screen. That would be pretty ideal.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I upgraded from a 5s to a 6+ a few weeks ago and it hasn't been any trouble at all. I was able to get used to the larger form factor within a day or two and using my wife's 5s makes me wonder how I got along with such a tiny screen.

5. RCRod83 macrumors regular

RCRod83

I have the iPhone 6, and plan on upgrading to the 5.5" model with the next release (iPhone 6s+?).

6. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I have a 6+ which I plan to keep. I still have until Jan. 8th. to make a return/exchange. But, in the future, if Apple does release this rumored 4", 4.7", and 5.5" versions next year, I'm going mid-range like the 6, because it's the best fit all around for carrying around and taking to the gym.

I'm not saying the 6+ is too big, because I am enjoying the screen size experience, but I do sometimes, swap the sim into my 5S when I head to the gym because it's portable.

7. brainspirations macrumors newbie

brainspirations

iPhone 6 plus: lots of reports abt volume problems

Be careful. There are many reports about volume problems with iPhone 6 plus.

8. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Better battery life win it for me and many others.

9. thedeejay thread starter macrumors 65816

thedeejay

I agree that the iPhone 6 has a portability factor and ease of "one-handed" use but I recently test drove a 6+ at an Apple Store and don't feel it's that bad (maybe I have big hands?). I'm really digging the fact that it goes 1.5-2 days without charge. I don't think I really notice the 1080P display or really care for OIS but this is mainly for the larger screen and better battery which are welcomed. Additionally, I feel as though things like web browsing and watching YouTube videos will be a pleasant experience compared to the 6.

10. cababah macrumors 68000

Had the 6, exchanged for a plus. Took some time to get used to the size but the battery life is what really sold me long-term. The display is noticeably sharper as well. It's more of a real "upgrade" over the 5S "feature wise" vs the 6 IMO.

11. Ashtar macrumors regular

I go the 6 on launch day. I gave it to my wife a few weeks ago and purchased the Plus for myself. Took a couple of days to get used to the size and now its old hat, man. No issues at all. When i pick up her 6 or my son's 5S, it feels like holding a toy. The "OMG it is huge" wears off pretty quick and then the phone seems natural. I love it. :cool:

12. lwilliams macrumors regular

lwilliams

I was using the 6 since the beginning......then my wife took it and I got the 6+.

It is a little harder to use with one hand, but I am sure I'll get used to it....it's only been 5 days now. The battery life is incredible. And the display is great. Other than those two things, the rest didn't matter that much.

With experience behind me, I would choose the Plus again today!

13. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Quesiton is, how big is too big?

Will we get a 7.5'' iphone and people will just say "after a day or two its a wonder how i got on with any smaller''.

14. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I started with a 6+ after coming from a Galaxy S3, and a Note 4 briefly after that. Loved it, but the size was as much of an annoyance to me as it was a blessing. At work I carry my phone in my shirt pocket, and the Plus looked ridiculous sticking out. Awesome phone though.
    I think the 6 kinda gets a raw deal living in the shadow of the Plus.

Instead of being celebrated as the latest and greatest iPhone camera ever, it's the one without OIS.

Instead of being the newer bigger iPhone, it's the little one.

Instead of having slightly improved battery life, it's the one with the puny battery with unimpressive life.

They are both awesome, just a matter of which fits into your life better.

15. Nhwhazup, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014

Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I've had iPhones since the 3G and most recently went from the 5 to the Plus. It's been my favorite iPhone of all. I really love the bigger size and now it's my device of choice. I hardly ever use my iPad anymore. I love everything about the Plus - size, screen, battery life, feel in hand, etc.

16. CYKBC macrumors 6502

17. la79 macrumors regular

la79

To each their own. I purchased both the iPhone 6 and 6 plus. Used each for quite awhile and then returned the plus. Size just wasn't for me. I'm an active person and couldn't deal with lugging it around and sticking out of my back pocket or shirt pocket.

The iPhone 6 has great battery life I go two days with it and mine is jailbroken. Also the phone has software based OIS unlike the hardware OIS in the plus. The battery is relative to me. Bigger phone bigger battery. Other than the screen size you are getting the same phone.

You make the iPhone 6 sound like a second hand phone.

18. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Just ordered an iPhone 6+, I hope I don't feel like this. My reasoning for buying the plus is to get the best first and see how I can get on, rather then going the opposite way and regretting I didn't get the best to begin with.

19. skiltrip, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014

skiltrip macrumors 68030

You missed the point I was making. My fault for not formatting it correctly. I was listing examples of how the 6 is unfairly judged. If there was no Plus around the 6 would be much more deservedly celebrated.

I love my 6. It's ideal for me. I also think battery life is great on the 6.

20. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I did this exact same thing two weeks ago. I got a 6 on launch day (I intended to get a 6+ but none were available and it did seem way too big).

I was very happy with the 6. Loved the jump in size from my 5S. But after watching review videos and reading posts here, I decided to revist the 6+. I walked into an ATT store and after playing with the model again, it didn't feel quite as big and full HD videos was really nice. Plus I liked all the landscape features. I paid off my 6 and got a 6+ on the NEXT plan.

I couldn't be happier. Love this thing. I have average size hands and I can do almost everything one handed that I did with the 6 (I use reachablility a lot). I'll eat crow on that one because I posted many times that I'd never be able to use this thing one-handed #

One caveat. If you go with the plus you can probably never go back. I powered on my 6 a few days ago to wipe/unlock it after selling it on eBay and it fees pretty small!

21. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Agreed. I did this too; got a 6 on launch day (upgraded from a 5S) but found someone on Craigslist to trade for a Plus two weeks ago, and I LOVE the Plus!! It's definitely harder to use with one hand, but the battery life, better screen, and better camera make it worth it, IMO.

22. lwilliams macrumors regular

lwilliams

Same here.....when I hold my wife's 6, it feels tiny.

23. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I held my father's i5 (my old phone) today and it felt great in the hand. My 6+ is too frigging big. Great at home but horrible when out and about. I think a smaller phone + iPad/laptop is the way to go. I'm keeping my 6+ as am over the 14 days now but if given my choice again I would get a smaller phone.

24. super chimp macrumors 6502a

My other phone is a Nexus 6 so that's given me more confidence in looking at a move from the 6 to the 6+.