I'm thinking of switching back to PowerMac G5...have questions...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Buffsteria, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

With all this fiasco regarding the Mac Pro...I know this sounds crazy but I'm really wondering if I should get a PowerMac G5 now. I had one and left it at my parents home years ago but it was the best computer I've ever owned. I haven't enjoyed Mac OS ever since Macs became PCs with the Apple logo on it.

I wouldn't be able to run Maya 2012 but it would still run Maya 8.5 which was my favourite version. Maya 2010 is the last supported version, not sure about what the last version of Photoshop was that supported it.

My questions...how will it feel? I'm thinking of getting a Quad 2.5Ghz G5 with 16GB RAM. Will I still be able to watch Youtube videos in HD? Will it be slow compared to an iMac Core 2 Duo 3.4Ghz? Any idea what the best video card for it is?

I know this sounds like going backwards but I miss having a real Mac. My husband and I just got an iMac i5 3.1Ghz with 16GB RAM that he'll be using professionally. This replaces his Core 2 Duo. I can either use that or sell it and buy a G5. I'm seriously considering the G5.

Any reason why I shouldn't?? Please let me know your opinions. I feel this forum is the best place to ask! Thank you.

2. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

I can say that my Powermac G5 (DP 2.5Ghz 3Gb ram) absolutely flies, still beats this MBP by a mile, and at everyday tasks is comparable to my dads mac pro (Quad 2.66Ghz 8Gb ram) (and before anyone says anything, yes i know the mac pro would beat the G5 at something like video encoding). As far as i can remember youtube video's work fine. My only word of warning is that the liquid cooled ones will leak, epically when you need them most.

3. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

It is true that when Apple used PowerPC chips, they really were different from other PC makers... but when the software looks the same (mostly) as does the case then I think that only difference you see is that G5 is slower than those Xeons. Nostalgy is of course its own thing, I for example saw new Mortal Kombat game on PS3 (I was huge fan back then when first one was released) but this new one I didn't care that much, it looked nice and that's it :)

EDIT: for the video card, look this:

http://www.jcsenterprises.com/Japamacs_Page/Blog/71BBF3EF-9713-4C53-8B80-26771F8A4087.html

4. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

if you do do this, make sure you know what your getting into. The gen 1 MP are much, much faster than the latest gen PM.

if you go the PM way, be sure to pick up a PCIE model PM. oh and for what its worth, i never had an issue with my liquid cooled quad.

fastest graphics card for these puppies would have been the fx4500, the ati x1900gt (known as the x1900XT on the PM) and the non quadro, 7800gtx.

5. CAINuKe, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

CAINuKe macrumors newbie

CAINuKe

I tend to agree with this, as far as raw power. The G5 in any circumstance is going to be slower than any MP or decently specd Dual/Quad core Intel machine.

You seem to be asking a "Loaded" question to be honest, if you want one they are cheap and very plentiful. But you are going to have to make sacrifices with regards to power and software support.
    They are definitely showing their age (I've owned 3, 2.0DP 1.8 DP and 2.3 DC). I wouldnt use them as a professional machine for much longer, regardless of what anyone tells you. Unless you dump $500+ into a $200-$300 machine it simply is not worth it. You are better off with the C2D iMac and putting a SSD in it.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Adobe CS4 is the last PowerPC supported version. Adobe switched to Intel only with CS5.

7. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Your Core 2 Duo iMac will walk all over a G5 quad in almost, if not every way. A modern day Celeron walks all over the G5 in most tasks.The only thing it has going for it is the expandability which the iMac only wishes it could do. That's the great thing about using a desktop tower and is why I will always have one for years to come. Just make sure you know what you're getting into going from an Intel machine to PPC and that you're aware of the limitations. Which grow by the day.

8. GyroFX macrumors 6502

i have a Quad G5 sitting at home for the past 2+ years. One of the cooling pumps died but did not leak. I'm contemplating weather to fix it or not but I just don't believe it's worth it at this point.

9. CAINuKe macrumors newbie

CAINuKe

I would, that and clean the system out. Then throw it up on ebay or craigslist.
    Probably get a hefty chunk for it.

10. Buffsteria, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

Buffsteria thread starter macrumors regular

Buffsteria

Thank you! And thanks all who responded. Ultimately I think that if it did what I needed in 2005 it will do what I need now. Whether it will do it at a usable speed is the issue. Then again I don't need to render Maya on my PPC, just model and texture...

11. drorpheus macrumors regular

you'll be just fine. And your exactly right, it will do what you need it to do, your just seeing the intel only, zero day torrent children say its barely going to be able to handle a brush stroke, CS1-4 work fine, there's nothing that ground breaking in CS5 and 5.5,

I dont know if the last PPC Maya featured only card board cut out modeling, but considering SouthPark had no problem making seasons of the show on them, countless video games, and motion pictures, magazines, newspapers etc... it should be ok, it just wont have an Intel inside sticker on it, and it also has trouble running malware and virus.

12. Buffsteria thread starter macrumors regular

Buffsteria

13. Buffsteria thread starter macrumors regular

Buffsteria

14. goMac macrumors 603

That iMac will absolutely blow a Quad G5 out of the water.

You're going backwards.

15. Buffsteria thread starter macrumors regular

Buffsteria

Well I just found a G5 with Apple display at craigslist for $200...it's very tempting. Some people on this forum still use their G5s as their main computer. Why do you think that is?

For me the allure is that I trusted the PowerPC more than the Intel stuff...Macs now are about the same as PCs.

I'm open to opinions.

16. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Nostalgia/attachment and the fact that they need nothing better.

17. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

It's likely only a seven hour drive for you to deliver that to my house. When can I expect you?

18. goMac macrumors 603

I've been using Macs for a long time, and the Intels I've used have been more stable than the PowerPCs. Not to mention, your Intel machine you have now is undeniably faster than a G5. There isn't really any dispute there, every benchmark shows it as faster.

You're just spending $200 on a machine that's not as good. I'm not sure what the point is.

I dunno why people here are using G5s. Maybe they had G5s and they haven't felt like upgrading? That makes a lot more sense than owning a faster machine and going backwards.

19. Buffsteria thread starter macrumors regular

Buffsteria

Thanks goMac, it wouldn't be a very rational purchase.

20. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I can't explain it either, except all I know is that I have 2 up-to-date MBPs and a really decked out Mac mini, but I find myself using my G5 powermac for most of my day to day stuff.
    I think deep down inside there is a slight perverse satisfaction gained from knowing a person can comfortably get things done without the need to stay on the cutting edge of technology and caving in to the industries efforts to keep my wallet empty.
    PS: I flatly refuse to upgrade to Apples POS Lion and whatever comes after, I'm luckier then most in that being 76 I can probably make 10.6.xx last my remaining lucid years.

21. CAINuKe, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

CAINuKe macrumors newbie

CAINuKe

I think its a combinations of:
    Expandibility
    Possibly lack the will to get anything better and the money to do it
    Nostalgia. Back when Macs really were a completely different machine.

I bought my G4 almost purely for nostalgia, I wanted one as a poor teenager in 2005-2006 (I couldn't afford even a used mac mini) and I wanted to see the fuss about a Apple product was about. (That and a project computer to mod the heck out of)

To be perfectly fair, the Apple computers do run a different type of bootup process than any old windows machine. Unless they change from EFI/Openfirmware to BIOS based hardware. I really wouldn't call them "Just like windows machines". But then again unless you get down to the bare bones, they really are highly modified off the shelf components.

22. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502

DrakkenWar

I agree it's a bit of nostalgia.

I understand the allure and do not think it's a bad idea to give a go if you have the finical means to do so. You obviously have the computing resources already on hand that can make up for an deficit you find in the G5 once you get it. If you find any in your day to day that you cannot live with.

There are some on this forum that for whatever reason hear PPC and either have an immediate sneer or shake their heads in pity for those of us that cannot stock a glass and chrome office with the newest shiny mac (+/- 2yrs:D)

For some of us that have been long time mac users ( I still have me SE30 HD/FD here in the home office) there is something about the "true" macs. And the fact is? That for many users both professional and personal many of them do what we all need day in and day out without a complaint. Granted there are concessions to be made, but if you understand that from the get go, and are okay with it? What's to say you can't get some glee out of getting a used G5 for 200-350 bones and making it your daily driver.

You can search other threads I have posted and find that while I have a pretty decked out i7 mini here at home, more often than not I find myself here on my G4 PB. It doesn't do everything I want as well as the mini, but it still has more than a few years of life left in my book. And for $50 with around $120 invested? I am truly not complaining for a laptop the brings quite a bit of questions at the local coffee shop from owners of new shiny MBP's and Air's wondering how I still get by everyday with this dinosaur to be honest? Most are pretty impressed after a bit of time behind the keys at what you can still do with these machines.

So long story short. If you want a G5 and can afford it? Do it, really what do you have to loose. Do a bit of research. It is pretty well known the Quads have/had leakage issues, but it seems to be a rather easy fix. If not the Dual's are dirt cheap and wicked quick you might have to spend a bit on cheap ram and a faster hd, but to be honest? It's not all that big of an investment to see if it will work for you. The video card seems to be the last and most expensive. It really comes down to what you expect and want from your computer. I love the fact I have my mini (like you have the C2D around if you need it.) But I really love the fact that I can do more, and enjoy my time with a computer than many see as a relic.

23. laptoplover2 macrumors member

You know, I would go for it! PowerPC Macs just like have a different feeling from Intel Macs. I bought a $40 PowerBook G4 on eBay, an original Titanium 400 MHz one (plus shipping). Fixed it up, made it faster, got MS office running on it, Panther running smoothly, and it feels totally different from using my MacBook.

If YouTube works on it, and you can still get a good Web Browser on it, I would definitely go for it.

24. MacSince1990 macrumors 65816

MacSince1990

You can watch YouTube easily in HD.

The G5 was a really very beautiful and well-running machine. The only thing you need to be careful with is the Liquid Cooling System.