I'm thinking to cancel my New Ipad 32gb 4G order to WIFI only because I discover MYWI

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bakasurvivor, Mar 11, 2012.

1. bakasurvivor macrumors newbie

SO I have a COX high speed internet which honestly is very good and fast, but I was planning to buy the 4G version of the new ipad because you know "just in case" and because it thought it was cool to use MAPS while I was driving. But I just discover this APP call MYWI which I can use my IPHONE to transfer my 3G internet to my IPAD... it seems very slow (i watch a youtube video) but i mean it does the work! So for does few times I may want internet access from my IPAD I can use that. But still want some opinions of my decision. Thanks.

2. Superman Y2K macrumors regular

Superman Y2K

You can certainly use it and it does work but if on a unlimited plan you run the risk of AT&T for instance detecting it's use and automatically changing your data plan.

3. bakasurvivor thread starter macrumors newbie

I have unlocked IPHONE 4 with third party (H2O) and I have unlimited everything for only $40 a month!!! :D

4. Superman Y2K macrumors regular

Superman Y2K

Ultimately it's up to you but you can always get the one you ordered and try out the MyWi and if works for you exchange that iPad for a Wi-Fi only model.

5. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

The 4G iPad also has a GPS which would make using maps much more useful. You can use the GPS while on WiFi, so if your using your phone as a mobile hotspot to supply the data, that would work really well.

6. sekazi macrumors 6502

I have MyWi and it works but I do not like using it as a hotspot unless I need it. The reason is it kills your battery fast and it is not as convenient that having something you just turn on and have Internet.

This is why I bought a Verizon iPad 3. This way if I have no service for Verizon I can use AT&T via MyWi or the other way around. But I much rather not have to do that.

Not to mention that the 3G/LTE iPads have built in GPS so you can use map apps that support no internet connection than having to tether.

7. Chelmo macrumors regular

From what I've heard using google maps on a Wi-Fi only iPad is really poor at determining your location and uses a different method to the iPads with 3G because they do not have assisted GPS. So I think you would lose out in terms of that even if you have Wi-Fi on the go. But if you have an iPhone than that might not matter for you?

An iPhone 5 with 4G would make for a brilliant personal hotspot!

8. Kendo macrumors 68000

Using your iPhone as a hotspot causes a major drain on the battery. I personally think it would be inconvenient to have to worry about having an iPhone charger with you at all times.

9. IGotuBagged macrumors member

with the $130 you saved purchase a phone suite battery case to counter battery drain if using MyWi for long periods of time....case is $79 with free shipping on Newegg...you still save $51, not to mention no monthly charges for 4G access on iPad. As for GPS...just use your iPhone if you need turn by turn.
    Just my 2cents.

10. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

That's what I meant. The 4G model has GPS. Even if you don't have a data plan for the iPad, you can tether it to your iPhone to use your iPhones data while using Gogle Maps with the GPS on the iPad. True, you could just use Maps on our iPhone, but it's nice to use the nice big iPad screen.