I'm Tired of Defending Android I Want To be a Apple Fan Boy!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vikingjunior, Sep 28, 2011.

1. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

So I've been on here in the past defending Google/Android but I just can't defend them anymore. Know matter how much hardware they put in there Android still can get buggy at times. Just recently I had 75% battery life a hour later with no use it was down to 10%. Some app went nuts and drained my battery.

I've had the iphone 3gs in the past and although boring it was stable and very smooth. Also with Android you start getting OCD with the nine million different things you can do with it. I need simplicity I don't need to be looking at my phone every ten minutes to check the battery.

So I guess for me Apple wins and I look forward to any new release in Oct.

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

3. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

ahahhaha

welcome to the dark side :p

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

6. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Brand loyalty is a curse. Although that cuts both ways.

7. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

I'm a former ANdroid fan as well...But for the same reasons you listed (and a few more) I am on the iPhone train now and haven't looked back :cool:

8. gta50419 macrumors 6502

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I left and haven't come back ... I have an EVO, but I'm having a SGSII delivered on Friday.

11. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

This is Macrumors, prepare to be flamed for speaking about the competition.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Welcome back OP. I'm glad you found something that will work good for you.

13. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

How many weeks between them?

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I've had the EVO for more than 6 months, and had a SGS Captivate while on AT&T for 5 months before that.

15. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Just to have an idea of the cost of ownership of the Androids:
    How much out of the pocket cost for each?

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't remember - I did pay $400 for the SGSII, since I'm not renewing a contract.

17. vikingjunior thread starter macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

I had the EVO too all 170 grams of it. It was like an old Pontiac when you step on the gas you can see the needle go down.

I'm still waiting for Google to put the "settings" in alphabetical order. Has anybody exactly figured out how Android 'Contacts" works? It's impossible to make a QUICK call.

Even the Apple forums are better Android forums is as messy as Android itself.

No More!

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

To each their own, I haven't had a problem with either of those things.

19. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

So cost wise, they seem to cost "less". Is it unlocked?
    What carrier? And what data package they force you to use?

An iPhone unlocked and without contract is about $700.

20. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Funny how it goes, I've been enjoying both iPhones and Androids without a problem. However I have taken the time to learn the differences which like learning anything new, makes a world of difference.

One of the challenges for some is being unable to deal with the freedom Android offers.

For some odd reason before they learn anything about the phone, they assume they know it all and immediately root it or do some other needless modification. Then they wonder why it's not operating like their iPhone.

That's because it's _not_ an iPhone. It has a totally different OS.

These same individuals buy into the fantasy that they know better than the engineers who built it. They actually believe the negative posts by others who have already screwed theirs up, and the allure of negative bashing and whining takes over.

It's quit interesting really. After all, if Android was as bad as the whiners claim, they'd never have the large base of happy users they have, even if all models were free.

I happen to enjoy both and find the reliability, performance, and user experience excellent with each of them.

But then again I'm one who enjoys learning and progressing.

21. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I have Sprint, and my plan is the Everything data 450, which is $79/month.

22. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

This topic has been discussed at ad nauseum.

Android is like linux. Too many choices are bad for everyday people. Majority do not care about billion way to tweak your menu.

Android is for people who wants to muddle through billion menu to tweak all the little things.

IOS can do the something but first it has to be JB.

23. eaglesteve, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I too came back but for different reasons. My unhappiness with my Samsung Galaxy S were:

A. Security concern. I had my phone content taken by a backup program in a fraudulent way. Then I had a VOIP program that took my user ID and password but does not have calling functions in it. Later, when I tried using third party keyboards, I was presented with warning messages that this application could send what I was typing, including password back to the vendor.

B. Inconsistent user interface in area such as copy and paste. Although by upgrading to the more recent firmware address some of it, the third party applications continued to be stuck with different methods of performing such operation.

C. Hated KIES, which is a poor effort to emulate iTunes, which I love.

D. Hardware issues and poor vendor support. GPS was faulty, and the vendor refused to take it back or to exchange it even though I reported the problem just one week after purchase. Could have taken legal actions but couldn't be bothered with the hassles, so I paid the penalty to exit the contract instead.

E. Poorer quality and choice of applications compared to iOS.

F. Difficulties in customization.
    I wanted to skip/repeat/start/pause media applications last played with hardware key alone, whether I'm using an application, or on home screen, or on lock screen, or when the phone is sleeping. This is a customisation that I'm very used to with iPhone. It simply can't be achieve on Android platform. Another gripe I had was, many customisations in Android are achieved via flashing ROM, which unfortunately flush out the features I wanted to keep in the replaced ROM. I wish all customisations are done via installing third party applications, like in iOS.

G. Multilanguage support.
    SGS use different ROM for different region, making it impossible to mix any language the user want on the same ROM. The best it could do is to use third party keyboards. In contrast, IOS allows users to switch from any languages to any other languages easily (not just for input, but also the UI).

24. sentinelsx, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Generalization fail ftl.

So what if i "want" my phone to have a 4.3-4.5 inch screen with minimum bezel. Or if i want it to play nice with my media without conversions or software decoding, or if I want to easily load files without having to go through hoops aka itunes tether to the pc? (so much for the "post-pc" claim)

I think most people don't buy phones based on their needs. If i had a dime for all the people playing with androids and iphones and using them for just calling,texting and facebooking I would be a millionaire by now. You spend $500-800 for something a basic and old phone can handle easily.

I do have an iPhone 4 and a samsung captivate. The iPhone is ready to be sold and captivate stays till the 4.5in galaxy s2 comes on my carrier. Why? It meets my needs. The iPhone doesn't. And neither will iOS5 meaning neither will iPhone 5.

As for defending android OP, i find it sort of sad you feel the need to defend a string of 1s and 0s. What are you defending it for? It is a product. Just use it or throw it away/sell/whatever-you-want-to-do if you don't like it.

25. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

eaglesteve:

You are the first person I see complaining about not been able to customize an Android, wasn't that the main reason why they are so loved?
    I don't believe that the majority of the Android users do seek to fully customize their phones.
    I do believe that they have a big market share due to cost and availability from all the different hardware manufacturers and carriers.

For point D Apple is light years ahead of the competition.

Point A:
    The doom of the mobile industry will be when things like this will be mainstream, and anti-whatever software or services will need to paid.
    One more success factor for Apple closed system.
    I wonder why the jailbroken iOS devices have not suffered more things like you mention?