I'm tryin' to figure out how to forward ports on my 360 to "open" my NAT

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by SamIchi, Sep 30, 2007.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I get a moderate result for my NAT and it's restricting me to play with my friends on Live in Halo. For the past couple of days I've been tryin' to figure it out, but no luck. I have Verizon FiOS with an actiontec router.

I'm not sure but I think I'm stuck at how to find the static IP address of the 360. I've read guides and other tuturials suggesting I make it static when I forward ports so it doesn't get mixed up with my other computers. So how would I find that?

On the 360 dashboard, it's set to auto, so is the given IP the static also? I've tried entering that manually, but failed the test at IP address...

It'd be great if someone could help me out.

EDIT:

Nevermind I got it. I accidently entered one wrong number. *kicks himself*. But if anyone else is having this problem with NAT being strict or moderate, this is what I did.

Do page one on this site
    http://tommccann.net/live/step3.html

-Then for Verizon FiOS users enter your router setup

-Mine was 192.168.1.1

-Enter username and pass
    UserName- admin
    Pass- either "password" or "password1" (unless you changed it yourself

-Goto "Firewall Settings" on the top menu

-"Port Forwarding" on the left menu

-Click add > enter the static IP you used on your 360 in the computer/device's

-Click on protocol drop list and click show all. Then find XBoX and select that. That should enter the port info. You don't have to change anything else.

-Click apply and you should be all set, test the connection on the 360 Dash. It worked for me, I hope this helps some people.

2. Scott982 macrumors member

Scott982

These are the ports that you need to open for an open NAT on xbox live. Check out http://portforward.com/default.htm for instructions on opening the ports.

10280-10284

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

For me opening ports did nothing.

It was the fact that my ISP gave me a dynamic IP address which caused the problem.

A quick call to my ISP and one static IP address later my NAT was sorted.

Worth a try if the above doesnt work. )

4. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Warns me about my NAT as well (Halo 3), however it's not slow really all working, so I'm not messing with it.

That, and Sky charge for a static IP.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

rip off. Mine was free :)

Yeah a lot of games have problems with NAT MODERATE settings with being unable to connect to a game or problems conflicting with outher users with MOD/STRICT NAT's.

Call of Duty, Chromehounds for example were both nightmares with MODERATE NAT's for me.

But like I say as soon as my Static IP kicked in, then I've never had a problem and my NAT is open.

6. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

You could also put the 360 in the DMZ on your router, that's what I did with mine. (rather than having to do all the port forwarding entries)

7. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Taken from;
    http://www.freewebs.com/haximo/ports.htm

I think this guy know what he's talkin about. Unless my NAT becomes moderate or strict again, I'm not adding any more ports.

Mine wasn't that slow either, but when I tried playin with guests it was pretty slow and when I tried to connect with certain friends, it wouldn't let me, and sometimes I couldn't chat with them. I'm glad I finally got it to work.

it was only 3 ports, and through verizon, the xbox ports were already in the system, so you just pick the "xbox" protocol.

8. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Thank you, SamIchi. I also have Fios and that same Router. H3 was giving me the same warnings, but I was too lazy to try to figure out what was wrong. Mainly because I was still able to play online although it takes a while to find games.

I will definitely be fixing this tonight.

Again, thank you. :)

9. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Wow, nice.
    Yeah I just realized it's only 3 ports, not more.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908874

Guess I'll go play with mine when I get home and do the port forwarding. Hell I need to do it anyway because I took mine out of the DMZ anyway. ;)