I'm trying to figure out the best SSD for my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by renaetate, Aug 27, 2015.

1. renaetate macrumors newbie

I've been reading through these boards but honestly the tech talk gets too complicated lol I just need in plain english the most GB and SATA (wat?) I can install on this type of MBP:

Basically I'm just looking to speed up my computer. It only slows if I have a lot open but I'm a graphic designer sooo kinda have large files and programs all the time..

If you have a specific model or link that would be lovely lol THANK YOU AT HOME GENIUS BAR GENIUSES!!!

Running Yosemite
    Version 10.10.2
    MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008)
    Processor: 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Let me know if there's more info needed

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your MacBook has a SATA II (3Gbps) interface, so that will somewhat limit peak speeds on any newer SSD. But it will still be much much faster than a HDD and you will notice the difference.

SATA is backwards compatible, so any new SATA III SSD will work just fine for you. IMO about the best bang for the buck right now is either the Samsung 850 EVO or the Crucial MX200. I would just grab whichever you can find cheapest.

You can find either of these at places like Amazon or Newegg.

3. renaetate thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok perfect! I'm probably gonna go with Samsung evo 250 GB.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...re=ssd_samsung_850_evo-_-20-147-372-_-Product

One more question:

I saw this article on how to upgrade to SSD
    http://www.cnet.com/pictures/upgrade-your-macbook-to-an-ssd/

And it shows a little adapter for the SSD to copy everything over first. Is this step necessary? I guess programs and everything will be wiped if not huh? Where do I find the adapter?

4. renaetate thread starter macrumors newbie

I just thought of this too, My boyfriend has a old G4 Mac Powerbook. Is it possible to upgrade his as well?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You will need other one of those adaptors or just a cheap external USB enclosure to move the data and OS over from the old drive. Either will work. Something like this enclosure from Amazon is a good choice.

Do you happen to already be using Time Machine to backup to an external USB drive? If you are, you can just option key boot to that and it will take you to a recovery screen where you can format the drive and restore entire OS and everything back to the new drive.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Those used a PATA interface that is not compatible with the new SATA SSDs. I think you can find PATA SSDs, but they are expensive for what you get and with that PATA interface, I don't think the speed increase would be worth it.

http://forums.macrumors.com/forums/powerpc-macs.145/

You might try posting this question over in the PPC forums. That forum is very active and lots of PPC fans there that may be able to give you better advice than me on this. I don't stay up with PPC news as much.

7. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I have bolded some items in your quoted post, click to expand the quote. If you are opening large graphic files then seeing a slow down once the file is open then I would recommend increasing your RAM to 8 Gb (while the MBP is open for the SSD installation). I would like to link to a RAM recommendation, but I'm not sure on you system specs (see my comments below).

I was checking the Mactracker app to verify the RAM specs on your MBP, but it doesn't show the 13" starting until mid 2009 and they did not have a 2 Ghz processor (that processor speed stumps me). I think the RAM speed might be 1066 Mhz not 1067 Mhz. Maybe verify your system specs again.

8. jruschme macrumors 6502

jruschme

The late-2008 13" was technically a MacBook, not a Pro. This was the version with no Firewire port. It was quickly replaced by the mid-2009 13" MBP.

9. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

Thanks jruschme, that explains it.

OP: Your late 2008 MacBook has 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM. Your MB will support up to 8 Gb RAM. Here is an Amazon link to 8 Gb Crucial RAM for $50.81 US:
    http://smile.amazon.com/Crucial-DDR...ords=204-pin+PC3-8500+(1066+MHz)+DDR3+SO-DIMM