I'm very confused about wireless routers and what to buy

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TaraJade, Jun 7, 2008.

1. TaraJade macrumors newbie

I got my macbook a little while ago and I'm really not super smart about it yet so please don't think I'm stupid if I ask obvious questions.

Ok so on with my question.. I know that mac has wireless cards in them but I don't understand that and I have been able to access internet by clicking the signal button in the corner and picking a connection that worked. But something happened and that connection is gone and I'm not able to access any internet from any connection so I want to be able to rely on my own connection. I don't know what to purchase so that I can get the wireless in my home so if anyone could tell me it would really help and if you need anymore information I'll try and answer it. :)

Thank you so much,
    Tara

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just go buy an Airport Extreme; Apple supports it and it's very easy to use.

3. TaraJade thread starter macrumors newbie

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I personally have a Linksys and it's not designed for a Mac, so you have the web utility which is very confusing; the Airport comes with what is called an Airport Utility which is a step-by-step walk through that asks you certain questions and lets you configure security, etc. Plus if you have problems you can always go to a Genius bar or call Apple support for help.

5. TaraJade thread starter macrumors newbie

Um I'm going to tell you the truth I don't really understand what you said. Lol but Something that linksys will pop up as a connection when I click the signal button. If that means anything. But are you saying that when I buy the airport extreme thing that it will walk me through how to do it and then when I'm done setting it all up that I'll be able to access internet from anywhere in my home?

6. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

I would get an airport express. They are cheaper and do the same job as an airport extreme. And you can connect it to your speakers as well so that you dont need to plug a cable into your mac to play your music. I have an extreme and an express. And for what you spend an express will serve you well.

7. TaraJade thread starter macrumors newbie

8. angel1286 macrumors member

I have had personal experience with all kinds of routers (Linksys, netgear, apple etc.) and have had no connection problems with any of them. I currently use a netgear wireless b/g router which your mac is compatible with and is way cheaper than the airport express/extreme

9. TaraJade thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thank you everyone but I think the Airport Express sounds right for me.
    :)

10. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I gather that you can occasionally access an wireless signal called 'linksys', but that it's not always available. Sounds to me like you're picking up someone else's (unsecured) wireless.

Now, you want to establish your own wireless signal, and you need a router.

Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but you don't say anywhere in your posts. Do you have a wired Internet connection in your home?

If yes, ignore me and go on with your plan of the AEBS, or another router.

If you do not, then you'll need to find an ISP in your area first to set one up. Without that connection, a wireless router won't help you.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I didn't say anything about incompatibility; I only suggested the Airport Express/Extreme because the OP wanted something easy to configure and use.

Also I suggested the Airport Extreme over the Express because the Extreme has AirDisk, more wired ports, better antenna, etc. Yes it does cost $70 more, but it's a $70 well spent.

12. tcmacintosh macrumors regular

The airport express has wireless N now and is just as good as the extreme. Majority of people would not need all the ports at the back and personally i find Airtunes is better to have that Airdisc as airdisc is really slow compared to when the hard drive is plugged in by usb

13. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

If you just want internet access, the $70 is not $70 well spent. The express sounds like that the original poster needs. There are few advantages of the extreme over the express for the majority of home users who use it for wireless internet.