I'm white, but not scared when pulled over by black officer

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Jul 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

It happened this past weekend. I was speeding but got a little faster than I meant to. Soon lights were in my rear-view mirror and I pulled over. I noticed the trooper was black, but it did not give me chills or make me extra afraid. When he got to the window I handed him my license, registration and CCP and told him I had a weapon in the center console. He asked me a few questions about why I was going so fast etc and told me to wait.

He came back a few minutes later with a warning ticket and told me to slow down and have a nice day.

Why is this so hard to comprehend? Be polite, do what they ask and everything will be alright.

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

You're obviously not a sullen, ignorant punk trying to impress your "homies."

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Consider yourself lucky. And yes, please mention what state this was in, because it may have been idiotic of you to even have mentioned it to begin with. Or in the LEO's case, "Do you realize you almost died tonight?!?"

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/19/48645...d-carry-gun-permits-add-to-police-nervousness

If the laws in the state this occurred in were like Minnesota's, you did 2 things wrong:
    1. You gave up your right to not even bring the 2A into the issue, as you may not have had to tell them you have a gun in your car unless they explicitly ask if you do; and
    2. could have exacerbated the situation by showing him your CCL. If he searched the car and came up with the gun, then you could have brought up the CCL and show that it was registered to you. I know what you were trying to do with forewarning the LEO, but if he thought that at any point you may be leaning towards that center console, it's possible that you wouldn't have made it home alive.
    I mean, think about it. You did the same thing that Philando Castile did, and look what happened.

BL.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

he reached for his gun while telling the cop that he had one? odd I don't see that in the OP.

6. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Did I say that he did? Read my post again.

BL.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

oh, so you just left out the pertinent details on the shooting? got it. you also forgot to mention the man was stopped because he allegedly matched the description of a robbery suspect, that is why the other cops were there and why they asked them to have their hands up in the first place.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Why would a white guy be scared of being pulled over by a black cop?

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

can you please tell me your race/age/ethnicity & income bracket so I can decide if I want to be outraged?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2016 ---
    dang, missed that part on from the title :oops:

11. bradl, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016

bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You're being obtuse here.

My point is that in the OP telling the officer that he has a gun in the car, the laws in his state may be written so that he did not have to divulge that information unless explicitly asked by the LEO if there is a gun in the car. If that is true, then the OP didn't have to mention the gun at all.

Second, by mentioning the gun, the situation was heightened to the point where the LEO may have had to take action, especially if he judges that the OP is making any sort of action that would seem like he was getting to his gun.

This has nothing to do with comparing the justifications for pulling Castile over, but instead the very fact that both the OP and Castile were, as you like to put it, "law abiding citizens" with their guns in reach when pulled over by the LEOs.

How about reading the posted article and compare that, instead of comparing the incidents surrounding Castile.

I'm a black guy, and I was scared of being pulled over by a black cop. In fact, it happened.

True story: 2 weeks after I got my driver's license, I'm taking a couple of friends of mine to the mall, and get pulled over by a cop on Omaha's busiest street. My friends are ******* bricks, and I'm close to emptying my pants myself, but then check over what I had done: I was under the speed limit, seat belts fastened (even though it wasn't law back then), and signaled my turns. So I got a bit livid.

I waited for the LEO to get to my window, and while stern to show I wasn't afraid, I laid into him. I asked him what I did wrong. I made my turns fine, under the speed limit, seat belts on, even in the slower lane. What the heck did I do wrong?!?

He leans down, takes off his hat, takes off those ugly-assed sheriff's glasses (you know the ones), looks me straight in the face and says,

Your mother is going to be home late tonight because she has a meeting. What do you want for dinner tonight?

Yes.. my father pulled me over in the middle of rush hour traffic in Omaha to ask me what I wanted for ******* dinner.

I didn't speak to him for a month.

BL.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

guilty on the obtuse, but it all YOUR fault since I am shooting from the hip on my way out of work, how DARE YOU want me read an article that references your point? :mad: anyways
    you are assuming that center console is closed , plenty consoles are open depending on the vehicle. there are plenty of advantages of mentioning the CCW. I'll check it out once home (article).

13. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

It was in OH. It is the law to notify law enforcement you have a weapon.

As for my

Ethnicity: White
    Income Bracket: In the town I live in, I am considered well off. In Beverly Hills I probably don't break the top 50%. I was driving a 2015 Yukon XL.

14. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Did you answer him? Yeah dad, I'd love some bacon!

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Fair enough.

And yes, there are advantages of mentioning the CCW. No argument there. My point there is, did he have to mention it at all, especially if the laws in that state say that he doesn't have to mention it unless asked?

Anyway, word of advice: if you apply for law enforcement, save your family some dignity, and don't pull them over to ask something trivial. You might end up being the one put over their knee for a butt whoopin'. ;)

BL.

16. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Take the time to read post 13.

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If they had some Bacon of the Month clubs back then, I would have drained at least 2 month's salary from him before I'd call it even. :D

BL.

18. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

You have peaked my curiosity, now that I know your father is/was a cop. If this isn't too intrusive, may I ask? Is your father black as well? Where does he stand politically.

19. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Yes. he is, and he supported Obama. Funnily enough, he became a cop because he was arrested once for hot rodding/drag racing in Omaha. Tensions were bad back then (around the time of the Watts Riots) that unless he did something, he was going to end up like them, despite wearing a suit every day to school. So he applied for the academy, got in, and spent 33 years on the force.

Call it 'his part in trying to make things better' during and after MLK and the Civil Rights movement. Though, I haven't asked him about things recently, because talk has been more about family and wanting to see the grandchildren. I'll give a call soon and see what his take is, because he'd be the one in the middle of it, especially after Baton Rouge and Dallas.

BL.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Things should be pretty consistent. Personally announcing is the way it should be

21. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

OP was 10x smarter than the MN Dude.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2016 ---
    YMMV but when encountering a LEO while armed, it's better to PROPERLY inform them as CHL classes teach vs having them potentially finding you armed and having to be put on alert with a person they don't know that was less than transparent even if legally so and armed.

Again, YMMV but the MN guy didn't disclose properly and discovered that bad things can happen when you take naps in your CHL course.

22. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Who? About what?

Or was your rhetorical question just wit?

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

With as much black crime as there is, I can see how it would suck to be black when it comes to LEOs.

24. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

That basically ruined your chances of ever experiencing the perspective of how Blacks are treated by police of ANY RACE.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.