Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lawmanfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2014
Here is why, att unlimited isn't a true unlimited, after 5G it got reduced speed. with T-mobile I simply pay $70, got unlimited voice, texting, and 5G LTE with 5g mobile hotspot supported, no overage charge if exceed 5G, they even allow you to use your data oversea traveling w/o additional charge, texting is unlimited international as well. Same services with att its easy to go above $150.+

now they are offering 4 lines for $100, up to 10GB of 4G LTE data which is good for family plan.

Last gotta mention their referral program, just talked to their reps, here is the copy of our conversation.

"Chris: I'd be happy to provide you additional information about our Referral Program.
Chris: When you refer one of your friends to T-Mobile and they activate service, both you and your friend can get unlimited 4G LTE data for a full year at no extra cost. This means you and your friend will be saving $30 per month for 12 months or $360 savings in a year.
Chris: To take advantage of this offer your friend will need to transfer over their phone number from another carrier, then you and your friend will just need to register on our referral page within 30 days of your friend's activation of a new account. After both of you have signed up, your unlimited 4G LTE data will start that month.
You: cool, what is referral page?
Chris: Thank you! Please copy and paste this link: http://www.t-mobile.com/referral to visit our referral page.
You: okay, appreciate it "

then it's a no brainer, why not?

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Tmobile can roam on AT&T's network so you get access to both with Tmobile.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
what do mean "roam" ? thanks

When you use a cell phone tower owned by another carrier besides your own, that is roaming. If you were on international travel, your cell phone can "roam" using the GSM towers of that country if they are available.

It means, if you are not in an area that has Tmobile service.... but AT&T has service in that area, your phone with the Tmobile plan can use the AT&T tower, in other words, you can get service where AT&T provides it even though you are with tmobile. Best of all, its free and no additional charge.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

Nope. It seems to be very random and the roaming, itself, is very limited.

I travel up and down the Northeast. My TMo line has never roamed on AT&T. There are always times when my TMo line has no service/GPRS, but my AT&T main line has LTE.

If saving money was your #1 priority, Cricket is the better provider. You get AT&T's superior network for a good price.

lawmanfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2014
When you use a cell phone tower owned by another carrier besides your own, that is roaming. If you were on international travel, your cell phone can "roam" using the GSM towers of that country if they are available.

It means, if you are not in an area that has Tmobile service.... but AT&T has service in that area, your phone with the Tmobile plan can use the AT&T tower, in other words, you can get service where AT&T provides it even though you are with tmobile. Best of all, its free.

sounds cool, then I have no problem to make the jump, I'm gonna order a full price Verizon ip6 from Apple store and put in Tmoblie sim, then have someone from t-mobile refer me to the jump, get additional 12 mons unlimited LTE data, well, that's all I'm talking about. thanks for ur input.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

That's partially correct and mostly false. You do not get access to both networks at all.
They have some roaming agreements in certain areas only.
Areas for example that tmobile has barely any signal it will allow your phone to connect to AT&T 2G.
But you don't get both, not even close.
You can only roam where T-Mobile has a roaming agreement. There's also a different set of roaming agreements for prepaid vs postpaid accounts.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Yes it can but that doesn't mean it will. Depends on TMO's presence in the area I believe.

I'd love to swap over to TMO, however one of my work sites is in a TMO black hole. Great ATT coverage but TMO goes no-signal a block from the building. I've tested it with TMO prepaid and checked with coworkers with TMO postpaid.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Applejuiced... LOL

lawmanfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2014
Nope. It seems to be very random and the roaming, itself, is very limited.

I travel up and down the Northeast. My TMo line has never roamed on AT&T. There are always times when my TMo line has no service/GPRS, but my AT&T main line has LTE.

that could be sacrifice for the price, is it worthy?

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Yes it can but that doesn't mean it will. Depends on TMO's presence in the area I believe.

Applejuiced is right. Its where a roaming agreement is in place. Though that information is not publically available at least to my knowledge. Though some people may not have seen it, there are roaming agreements in place and in those areas with no Tmobile coverage, you will be able to use AT&T's network.

lawmanfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2014

I'd love to swap over to TMO, however one of my work sites is in a TMO black hole. Great ATT coverage but TMO goes no-signal a block from the building. I've tested it with TMO prepaid and checked with coworkers with TMO postpaid.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Applejuiced... LOL

then that jump isn't for u, I'm living in NYC metro area, TMO's coverage is as good as ATT, even better due to less subscribers. :p

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
I'd recommend testing the network first before committing and giving up your UDP with AT&T. T-Mobile was decent here, until I got into my work building. Service would switch between LTE and the HSPA+ network. Speed wise they were amazing, but for voice it wasn't as good and had a few dropped calls in the few months I had them before I canceled so I could unlock the iPhone I got to use with AT&T.

lawmanfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2014
I'd recommend testing the network first before committing and giving up your UDP with AT&T. T-Mobile was decent here, until I got into my work building. Service would switch between LTE and the HSPA+ network. Speed wise they were amazing, but for voice it wasn't as good and had a few dropped calls in the few months I had them before I canceled so I could unlock the iPhone I got to use with AT&T.

hmm.... I'm doing alot international travels with Tmobile their data plan is unbeatable cheap, free of charge with 2G, enough for emails and twitter.

----------

Agreed. Either pick up a prepaid SIM (often free or on sale for $0.99 online) if your phone is unlocked or take advantage of the free testdrive program. http://explore.t-mobile.com/test-drive-free-trial

That's good practice.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
hmm.... I'm doing alot international travels with Tmobile their data plan is unbeatable cheap, free of charge with 2G, enough for emails and twitter.

----------

That's good practice.

While those are beneficial, if the network doesn't work well where you are, you are paying for international service when you do travel out of the US. I do appreciate what they are doing and hope they are able to improve their network to be comparable to Verizon or AT&T. For me personally, those benefits weren't worth it due to the network not being up to par with what I currently have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.