I'm worried. Ragarding iPhone 4s radiation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphoneattack, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Iphoneattack macrumors regular

I was reading about how the 4S has high sar rating and I as wondering if...

Is it bad to use safari and play games a lot because the radiation will be exposed to your face?

Is it bad to carry the 4S in your pocket?

Thanks in advance

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The radiation given off by cell phones is not damaging to human tissue. There is nothing to worry about.

3. cyks, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

No one knows if it is dangerous. We (scientists) currently don't think it is, but a lot more research is needed before we know for certain. Mobile telephones simply haven't been in use long enough to know what the long term effects of this type of radiation are.

There are, however, rules about how much radiation a phone may emit and the iPhone 4S is within those limits (any phone that is on sale is approved).

5. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Stand in the sun for 15 minutes. This is more dangerous than any cell phone.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Cellphones use microwaves, microwaves are non-ionizing, non-ionizing radiation doesn't cause cancer. You're safe.

Source: Cancer.org

7. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Cell phones have been in use for over 25 years. Radio phones have been in use for almost 50. Not sure how much more data is needed?

We also know what forms of radiation effect human tissue. Hell, we know exactly how much gamma radiation we can use within the brain, on a precise point, to kill a tumor. Scientists will always say we need more testing. It's called getting grants for job security.

8. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

9. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

There are actually big differences between radio phones and phones we use nowadays. Mobile phones may have been in use for 25 years, but it only started becoming really big and popular in the late 90s. That's 15 years of usage and only in the past five years a lot of people started using it heavily (thanks to smartphones and their new features).

There is still a lot of research needed. I'm not saying that it is not safe to use smartphones a lot, but I'm also not saying that it is safe to use smartphones a lot.

Everybody thought the world was flat. They said that the world being round was not true. There was no prove for it. The sun would come up in the east and when it was in the west, the sun would go down beneath the surface of the earth and would than be transported back to the east. Scientists said that wasn't true, but of course they were only trying to get a grant for job security, right?

Tobacco wasn't damaging. Impossible. Centuries of usage. Same for alcohol.

As I said, the long term effects are unknown. It might be perfectly safe, but it also might be dangerous.

10. blakjak220 macrumors newbie

It's not about how long cell-phones have "been around"... it hasn't been that long since the majority of the population started carrying cell-phones on a daily basis...
    Plus, when you're talking about cancer research.. you have to have 20+ years to be able to see cancer trends... and since it's only been in the last decade that cellphones have become ubiquitous.. it'll still be some time before there'll be enough data to see any trends in cancer rates.. and even at that it won't be conclusive.

11. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

The world was considered flat because there was no one willing to test the limits of the "4 corners" of the world. There is a ton of research on cell phone use, hence a common standard of acceptable radiation limits. You know I can spend 6 months on a nuclear sub and receive less radiation than going to the beach for an afternoon. How do we know this? We have a good understanding of forms of radiation and what it can and can't do and wh at is deemed safe. Gamma knife radiation is a perfect example of this.

And tobacco by itself is not damaging, just like marijuana by itself is not damaging. It's when tar, rat poison and whatever else is put into those products that make them dangerous. Nor is alchohol damaging. I can drink a glass of beer, every single day for 70 years and have no ill effects.

Now if you want to talk about dangerous things, more dangerous than cell phone use, look into the chemical that is used on the inside of metal, tin and aluminum cans of your favorite foods. Look at the amount of chemicals used to keep food fresh and safe from bugs. You have more chance of getting cancer from just eating the food in your local supermarket than from using a cell phone. And there is plenty of data on the use of BPA and what it does.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Notwithstanding the replies above, I've found that my 4S makes my desk phone at work buzz if I hold the phone too close. None of my earlier phones (Nokia, Sony, HTC) have done that. I don't know whether this is due to radiation or some other form of interference - does anyone know what causes this?

13. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

You seem to have conducted endless researches in the field to state that. May you share them with us?

14. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

If something is dangerous, it doesn't directly mean you get ill. There are enough people out there who are working and exposed to dangerous chemicals and live long and happily, but there are also people out there who do get ill when exposed to the same chemicals.

Oh, and please, don't argue that all radiation is the same (as you're doing now). There are all kinds of radiation out there: some will kill you in a short period of time, some are actually good for you.

You seem to be fairly confident of your case that the radiation smartphones emit are perfectly safe. You also refer to the fact that there are tons of money spend on research that prove that smartphone radiation have absolutely no negative effects at your body at all. Can you please link me to some of these studies? I think it would be interesting to read. :)

15. Mac.World, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I will guess that your other phones were cdma and your new one is gsm? Electromagnetic interference is higher on gsm phones, if I recall correctly.

----------

Sure, here you go:

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Do your own research for once or read Mac.World's posts.

17. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

The only information you can gather from that article is that further investigation is needed. Those results refer, at most, to 2006, and the others refer to earlier years. All they say is: there are not significant results we can observe in that range of time, referring to brain tumors. This doesn't mean there aren't risks, only that, mainly in the 80s and 90s, within 20 years at most, nothing particularly interesting has come out.
    We need research and time. Meaning you can't really observe, as said, trends within a short length of time.

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Sounds like a good start for your research paper.

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

The impact of cellular radiation on the human body wont be known for quite some time.

Maybe in 20-30 years.

However, I tend to not my phone against my head. Speakerphone or Apple headphones is what I prefer just because of the concerns and possible cases from the late 90's.

It does seem like phones got vastly hotter back in the day.

20. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I'm sorry but your argument was that mobile phones are not bad for your health and enough research has been done. From reading what you've posted:

I'm not someone who thinks: "Wow, a lot of text. He must be right."

Your studies actually show I'm quite right and that long-term effects are unknown. It also shows that some studies actually do believe that there are health risks involved - and these are all studies based on the short-term. When we are looking at the long-term health risks, than we're looking a few decades ahead; not a few years.

I'm standing with my original conclusion: long-term effects are unknown so more research is needed to find out if there are any health risks involved.

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Someone else has told me that in the past, I just didn't mention it in my post so as not to influence the results :)

I actually posted a thread a few months ago asking whether there's any way to turn off the GSM radio in a 4S. Nobody knew how. I'd love to know why it scans for GSM networks when it already has a working WCDMA connection.

22. aa909 macrumors newbie

safe in your pocket, but not in your jock strap

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

And of course there is no danger from other things like smoking, too much alcohol, texting while driving, eating too much, driving too fast, driving while intoxicates, using illegal drugs, etc. /sarcasm

I'd worry more about known hazards than unknown unproven hazards

24. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

Same thing I've always thought.

25. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Hold the iPhone on your arm. Feel anything? Didn't think so.