iMac 17" RUMORS

MrSolipsist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2002
Northern New Jersey
I keep hearing Aug 8 as the shipping date, this was from a manager @ an Apple Store in the NYC Metro area. The word is the new iMac 17" will also ship with 10.2 (Jauguar). What have you heard?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
That would be a little strange...

Wouldn't they also need the Jaguar CDs that come in the consumer box?

Somehow I can't see Apple sitting on the new CDs for 3 weeks if they already have them available for the 17" iMac.

It's much easier to include incremental OS upgrades with new machines early than it is to ship something that'll require a new set of CDs.

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
I'm waiting for this to be released also. Someone said the 8th - I hope so!
My girlfriend can't wait for it anymore. the 17 imac and my powerbook will be my main computer until the new line of powermac come along!

Jaguar will for sure be installed and if it doesn't include the cd on the box. They can always be sent to your home from apple. Great demand for the 17"
which is great for apple!

dynamicd

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago
I also think thursday will the shipping date since when i oredered mine on the 17th, apple was quoting a 2-4 week shipping date and its been about 3 weeks already.

Damn I hope it gets here soon. :(

dynamicd

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Chicago
My friend and I were on the apple's main page with the imac advertisement and noticed that it said it's a DVD-RW which we both thought it was only a DVD-R. The tech specs say DVD-R however. Anybody shed some light on this??

DaedalusDE

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2002
Long Island, NY
it is a DVD(-+)RW drive but since iDVD (the only offical apple dvd making software) is only compatible with DVD(-+)R, apple lists the superdrive as only DVD(-+)R.

If u go into toast you can make DVD(-+)RW's, but you cant use them with iDVD

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
Originally posted by DaedalusDE
it is a DVD(-+)RW drive but since iDVD (the only offical apple dvd making software) is only compatible with DVD(-+)R, apple lists the superdrive as only DVD(-+)R.
The Pioneer drive in Macs is DVD-R and DVD-RW compatible. It is NOT DVD+R or DVD+RW compatible. Those are completely different drives which are not sold by Apple. The + drives write to different media, and have different compatibility with set-top DVD players (read: worse.) They are sold by Sony, HP and others. (Note that Sony has also used Pioneer DVD-RW drives for their desktop computers in the past, because they could not make enough DVD+R/DVD+RW drives at the time.)

The most likely reason that Apple doesn't list DVD-RW compatibility is because they do not sell the media. They want you to buy their DVD-R discs.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by DaedalusDE

If u go into toast you can make DVD(-+)RW's, but you cant use them with iDVD
Don't forget about DVD Studio Pro. :p

DVD-RW isn't as compatible with general consumer DVD players so it makes sense that Apple would only recommend/allow DVD-R discs for use with its DVD authoring apps.

DVD(-+)RW is for data back-up, and that's why Toast supports it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.