iMac 2.8 video out for dual monitoring

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tkobvious, Feb 2, 2009.

1. tkobvious macrumors newbie

I just purchased the mini dvi to dvi dongle to use my Toshiba 1080i hdtv for a dual monitor setup with my 24" iMac 2.8 (mainly just to view movies a little bigger).

The Set-up:
    mini dvi to dvi dongle, dvi to hdmi cable, to hdmi in on TV.

The iMac recognizes TV and allows me to set-up the arrangement and adjust the resolution of the Toshiba TV, etc, but the t.v. will absolutely not display anything but it's "blue" no signal screen. I used the TV with my mac mini as a primary display using dvi to hdmi without problems for 2 years.

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and ended up having any luck going the VGA route? Any suggestions appreciated!

2. zanaeira macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing this exact same problem. Have you found a solution yet as I haven't been able to?

3. tkobvious thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I started having daily Kernel Panics with my fairly shiny new iMac as well. Come to find out, I had a bad video card. I took it in to the local apple store and they replaced the logic board and video card under the apple care warranty. No more kernel panics, and video out works like it should now.