iMac 2.93 C2D 8GB Ram 1T HD (2009) Versus 2011 Macbook Air

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gavroche, Jan 9, 2016.

1. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

I could really use the opinion of anyone that has used both of these computers. I dont need portability any more, so i just sold my MBA. The iMacs that i can most afford right now are mostly Core 2 Duos... But looking at the benchmarks, they seem quite a bit slower than my MBA. But in real world usage, would i really notice much difference? Would paying $750-$800 (to step up to a i5 Quad Core) be really beneficial versus $450 for the above spec'd machine?

2. MadDane macrumors 6502a

What do you use the machine for? Either way, an iMac from that time will definitely use an old fashioned spinning HDD (unless it has been upgraded), whereas a 2011 MacBook Air uses an SSD. You will most likely feel a difference caused by this, if nothing else.

I am still using a 2009 27" iMac with a Quad Core 2.8 GHz i7. It performs pretty similar to my 2013 MacBook Pro i5 (2.6 GHz). However, I have upgraded it with an SSD, which makes a huge difference.

3. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

The higher end Core 2 Duo's are still more than adequate for basic web browsing, light photo editing, YouTube and probably some light video editing as well. It will come down to how much you can spend and what you will use the computer for.

4. gavroche thread starter macrumors 6502a

gavroche

I just ended up getting a 27" 2010 i5 Quad Core.... 1TB hard drive and 8GB Ram. It has a few dents in the external case on the sides... but the screen has no problems at all that i can tell. Due to the dents, i got it for just $400.... so i'm pretty happy with that. So far i'm loving it. But i need to go buy a new keyboard and mouse.