iMac 20" Not Starting, Motherboard or Video Card?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMavrick, Oct 12, 2014.

1. iMavrick macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,

I have just been given an iMac 20" (2210) from 2008 that does not start. When I press the power button, I can hear the startup Chime every 5 seconds since it keeps rebooting. I can also hear the fans and optical drive. However the screen remains black.

I took it apart and I only have led 1 and 2 on. Both 3 and 4 remain off all the time. (led 3 is on for half a second when I press the power button)

As I am now trying to figure out if it is a motherboard issue or a video card issue, I am in need of your help since both parts can be quite pricy compared to the value of the computer.

The motherboard is a "820 2223 A" and the video card is an ATI "109-B22553-11".

Thanks in advance

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

LED 3 not turning on means the logicboard and video card are not communicating. You could try reseating the video card or replacing it.

3. iMavrick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Intell, but this is the answer I have been finding online all over, and it does not imply that led 4 is also off.

I am guessing the video card could be the problem, but I was just wondering if any of you have experienced this before?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, I've replaced a few video cards that have failed like that.