IMac 2011 display for desktop

VongolaXEspada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Alright in a few months, Im going to either make or buy a windows desktop and I wanna use my 27 inch 2011 imac as the display for it. Is this possible? I tried searching google but I couldn't find something that was my exact situtation. So I was wondering is it possible to use a 27 inch 2011 imac as the main display for a windows desktop?

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Alright in a few months, Im going to either make or buy a windows desktop and I wanna use my 27 inch 2011 imac as the display for it. Is this possible? I tried searching google but I couldn't find something that was my exact situtation. So I was wondering is it possible to use a 27 inch 2011 imac as the main display for a windows desktop?
Unless you find a PC video card with thunderbolt out no it's not possible. That's why I went with the 2010 this past Aug. I use the mini display port (mdp) out on my Alienware to connect to the Target display mdp on my iMac.

Cheers,

VongolaXEspada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Unless you find a PC video card with thunderbolt out no it's not possible. That's why I went with the 2010 this past Aug. I use the mini display port (mdp) out on my Alienware to connect to the Target display mdp on my iMac.

Cheers,
Only like mac use thunderbolt, and it will stay that way for awhile. Is there no other way like a thunderbolt to HDMI cable or a thunderbolt to display port cable?

VongolaXEspada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2011
No cables avail yet, maybe in the future if someone makes one.
I think I saw one somewhere before, while I was searching google the other day. Also isn't there like an official thunderbolt to display port by apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.