Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shortie8512

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
Guildford, UK
Time for my tuppence worth on the subject on the 2012 iMac debate ;) I honestly don't think we'll see retina displays in the iMac until late 2013 at very the earliest, partly because of the size of the displays the iMac have but also that GPU's aren't realistically powerful enough at present to drive that sort of resolution at an acceptable level of performance.

How about the new iMac having a touch screen instead, especially with ML being more iOS like in use? It would certainly be something more in line with the way they are moving and would be a bit of a two fingered salute to Windoze 8 ahead of its release with Apple having both an OS and desktop computer package that delivers a tablet like experience into the desktop market. Heck, they might even make a keyboard and mouse optional extras!

I know I am clutching at straws but with rumours of lamination issues it certainly fits in with something happening display wise plus the technology and screens of that size are already available and to cap it off OSX ML is pretty much designed for that sort of use already....

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Time for my tuppence worth on the subject on the 2012 iMac debate ;) I honestly don't think we'll see retina displays in the iMac until late 2013 at very the earliest, partly because of the size of the displays the iMac have but also that GPU's aren't realistically powerful enough at present to drive that sort of resolution at an acceptable level of performance.

How about the new iMac having a touch screen instead, especially with ML being more iOS like in use? It would certainly be something more in line with the way they are moving and would be a bit of a two fingered salute to Windoze 8 ahead of its release with Apple having both an OS and desktop computer package that delivers a tablet like experience into the desktop market. Heck, they might even make a keyboard and mouse optional extras!

I know I am clutching at straws but with rumours of lamination issues it certainly fits in with something happening display wise plus the technology and screens of that size are already available and to cap it off OSX ML is pretty much designed for that sort of use already....

sigh!, we had a few of this discussion :) We won't see an iMac with touch screen and I'm glad we won't. Or that is unless Apple want to ignore previous research and decisions that is. Steve Jobs said a few years ago, touch screen laptops don't work. And I completely agree with him, why would you want to sit and touch a vertical screen. iPads design works with this, but not a laptop. And, the iMac would be even worse. Only reason iMac would be touch is if they integrated wacom technology and ergonomy and made it into an artist plate. But that would be the need of a way too small segment for the iMac product. Only companies like Samsung is stupid enough to add touch into an AIO machine. Whenever would you want to use that ? I'm curious :)

If the screen lamination rumor is true, it's because Apple is implementing new monitors, not touch...that I can bet my money on.

Lynn Belvedere

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Touch screen desktops are so stupid. Probably one of the dumbest "inventions" of all-time. They serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

There is no earthly need to touch your desktop monitor. Ever. It's just stupid.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Some of the Minority Report controls are interesting. But those are designed to be used while standing. For the most part people sit while using a computer, and aren't interested in elevating their arms off the desk.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
You guys are making it sound like this is impossible to execute. The stand could easily be designed to fold and lay the screen flat. This could very well be the reason why Apple is taking forever to refresh the iMacs.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
You guys are making it sound like this is impossible to execute. The stand could easily be designed to fold and lay the screen flat. This could very well be the reason why Apple is taking forever to refresh the iMacs.

Sure. Take your 27" iMac off its stand, lay it flat on your desk, and tell me if you'd like using your arms to drag windows around etc. and if your eyes are far enough away from it to see the entire screen at once comfortably while still being able to reach it with your hands comfortably.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009

Not really impossible, there's just no reason for it. For what purpose would I like to drag folders around with my fingers and type on the screen? A keyboard on a desktop is better than a digital one. I need to use a mouse and I see no benefit of using OSX with my fingers... Osx is not meant for that and I don't want them to make it into that, like win 8... We have ios for that.
Minority report is a fun film but I doubt this is the future of home computers. Huge touch panels works as huge panels displaying in shopping centers and air ports etc were customers can orient themselves and whatnot. I really can't understand what Samsung is thinking with their AIO touch screen computer. Next they start making touch screen tv's too

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
I'm also not interested in touching my iMac. It's just too much work to be doing, I go to the gym for that kind of workout.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Sure. Take your 27" iMac off its stand, lay it flat on your desk, and tell me if you'd like using your arms to drag windows around etc. and if your eyes are far enough away from it to see the entire screen at once comfortably while still being able to reach it with your hands comfortably.

Sounds like the same types of obstacles naysayers used to spit out about tablets not having stylus pens or smartphones not having a push button keyboards. Yet, look where we are now. Tech visionaries see touch screens as a part of all computing and the future of desktops are no exception to that. Laptops that switch to a different interface when folded are already in existence.

----------

Not really impossible, there's just no reason for it. For what purpose would I like to drag folders around with my fingers and type on the screen? A keyboard on a desktop is better than a digital one. I need to use a mouse and I see no benefit of using OSX with my fingers... Osx is not meant for that and I don't want them to make it into that, like win 8... We have ios for that.
Minority report is a fun film but I doubt this is the future of home computers. Huge touch panels works as huge panels displaying in shopping centers and air ports etc were customers can orient themselves and whatnot. I really can't understand what Samsung is thinking with their AIO touch screen computer. Next they start making touch screen tv's too

Who said that it has to operate in OSX? It could very well switch to iOS when flat. What does launch pad look like to you?

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
Who said that it has to operate in OSX? It could very well switch to iOS when flat. What does launch pad look like to you?
I have no interest in an iOS desktop. That is what tablets are for. The day OSX is replaced with ios for desktops is my que to shoot myself in the face. Melodramatic I know, but i can't imagine the cluster F that would cause with my work flow.

Last edited:

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Sounds like the same types of obstacles naysayers used to spit out about tablets not having stylus pens or smartphones not having a push button keyboards.

Really? I wasn't one of those. I was dubious about the amount of use I might get out of a tablet, but I've never seen anything wrong with the core touch-screen design. But the fact remains, if you have to choose whether your screen is comfortable to see or comfortable to navigate, you have a poor design. Gestures show more promise, but are probably a few more years from going mainstream as a primary navigation method.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I have been using touch screens for over 10 years now and they are horrible. Touch screens drive new printing presses and have for years. Even with protective screens they become a visual mess in very short order. Not sure about you but I can verify that no matter how clean my hands are the screen becomes a mess quickly. As for wear on the screen, that is a whole other issue. You should see my current screen after only 5 years of use. When trying to hit small images on the screen, it is damn near impossible. Hence I have a mouse to maneuver the small screen images. Still require a keyboard for any typing. They are a pain in the ***. Trust me when I tell you they stink. I have 10 years + experience with them and I hope they go the way of the dinosaur. I love my mouse & keyboard and would not trade them for anything.

Should have been more clear on this. I am talking desktop. Touch screen works great on smaller products such as pads & phones.

Last edited:

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
I have no interest in an iOS desktop. That is what tablets are for. The day OSX is replaced with ios for desktops is my que to shoot myself in the face. Melodramatic I know, but i can't imagine the cluster F that would cause with my work flow.

Very melodramatic and I doubt it would "replace" OSX. Like I said, it's possible it might switch OS when sitting flat.

artbyjames.com

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
So you're saying there's no way to make a touchscreen iMac ergonomic? Have you not seen the patent?

I'm a digital artist and big fan of the giant Wacom Cintiq 24hd. Here is a link showing how the stand makes a huge display ergonomic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rdjnR9fxY8

It is very comfortable to use for long hours, and now they offer one with touch. It's so obvious how Apple could make a large touch screen ergonomic and it's so obvious that ml is designed for it. The gestures, the icons and folders, the buttons….they're already there!

The biggest problem with the iPad is lack of processing power. They made a great choice using a weaker chip because it's a mobile device. The iMac won't have to make those sacrifices. Taking that zero-latency iOs touch experience to the Mac will be revolutionary, because it will be done right. The hardware will be ergonomic, the touch will be super accurate, and you'll be able to do crazy things with it. Creating content on the iPad is dramatically limited by screen size and power. So much that it makes it a toy. A well-designed iMac Touch will be a revolution for many general and niche uses.

Here's a guy just hired by Microsoft. He is a pioneer in touch screen tech. Tell me you don't want that on Mac, and then tell me what it was like growing up in the 40's. Was polio scary?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs6rwKNqBww

Here's one showing simultaneous touch/pen. For digital artists like me, this is the future. If you've never tried a drawing tablet, then you just won't get it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnvlzlXpd4M

I'm surprised at how many don't think this is the very near future. It's so damn obvious! Doesn't mean it will happen this time, even though the almost 500 day wait suggests a redesign, but it will happen. And it will be awesome.

artbyjames.com

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
I have been using touch screens for over 10 years now and they are horrible. Touch screens drive new printing presses and have for years. Even with protective screens they become a visual mess in very short order. Not sure about you but I can verify that no matter how clean my hands are the screen becomes a mess quickly. As for wear on the screen, that is a whole other issue. You should see my current screen after only 5 years of use. When trying to hit small images on the screen, it is damn near impossible. Hence I have a mouse to maneuver the small screen images. Still require a keyboard for any typing. They are a pain in the ***. Trust me when I tell you they stink. I have 10 years + experience with them and I hope they go the way of the dinosaur. I love my mouse & keyboard and would not trade them for anything.

If you think Apple would put out the cheap crap you're referring to, you're nuts. The hardware and software quality will make it an entirely different experience. iPad screens aren't ever going to experience wear from touch. The accuracy of iOs touch input with software made for it won't require a mouse. Typing on iOs is pretty good, too. Not a valid comparison to me.

Last edited:

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
So you're saying there's no way to make a touchscreen iMac ergonomic? Have you not seen the patent?

I've seen the patent. I contend that artists have different needs; more often you're focusing on the detail than the the big picture, particularly when you're close enough to interact.

artbyjames.com

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
I've seen the patent. I contend that artists have different needs; more often you're focusing on the detail than the the big picture, particularly when you're close enough to interact.

In art the big picture is more important than details, but I know what you mean. We get in there, leaning on the screen and stuff. Responsive pinch and rotate will be particularly useful for art.

Touch will be just as useful for general tasks, though. Watching Han interact with documents is amazing. I agree that keyboard is better for serious typing. That's about it. Otherwise, with adequate ergonomics and software, I'd rather interact with everything directly. iPad has really changed my opinion on that.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
If you think Apple would put out the cheap crap you're referring to, you're nuts. The hardware and software quality will make it an entirely different experience. iPad screens aren't ever going to experience wear from touch. The accuracy of iOs touch input with software made for it won't require a mouse. Typing on iOs is pretty good, too. Not a valid comparison to me.

Very valid comparison. I'll assume you are in the industry then and know exactly what I am speaking about. Not cheap crap and it is state of the art. I edited my statement to say for the pad and phone it is fine to have touch screen, but I stand by what I say. To try and compare an iPad or iPhone experience to a desktop or laptop is not the same. Ergonomics is a definite difference and you will be constantly cleaning. I have seen many things changed over the last dozen years to try and make it better, but to no avail. You will not convince me otherwise. Please remember I am anything but nutty. I have the years of experience with touch screens to back my statement.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010

So you do agree that there is value in this. It's pretty obvious to me that Apple's targeted iMac users, from a professional stand point, are in graphic design/artistic work. Most of Apple's OSX software are designed for this type of use and given that graphic designers preferred tool is a graphics tablet, I can see how direct screen contact would be of value to them. I don't think iMac would become touch screen only, there will always be a place for a mouse and a keyboard in there - no doubt.

artbyjames.com

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
Not cheap crap and it is state of the art.

If the screen is worn from touch, you have trouble selecting icons and buttons, and it's not comfortable to use, then the hardware and software is cheap crap. Not in dollars, but in actual value.

I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate pc. It's great for drawing, and has multitouch. The touch hardware is good. Problem is the software sucks. So it's always hard to hit buttons with touch. Whether you're navigating apps, the web, or the os, it's annoying. Yet these same things are wonderful on iPad. Apple can do this right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.