iMac 21.5 late 2012 with 144hz monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by conf, May 12, 2014.

1. conf macrumors newbie

Hi

I just bought a 144hz external monitor (ASUS VG248QE) for my iMac. The reason for the 144hz monitor purchase is gaming, and as I still love my iMac, I have no plans to buy a new PC desktop computer, so I simply bought a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable between them. According to the person at our local Apple retailer this would be no problem at all, and this would work fine. It did work in a way, the screen is running and there was no problem as far as that goes, except I can't set the screen to 120/144hz, the highest I can do is still 60hz.

Why is the local Apple retailer telling me a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI cable works, when it seems like it doesn't? Or does it? And I'm just missing something?

Please help.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The monitor has DisplayPort input right?

If so just get a miniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.

The Asus site says you need to use DisplayPort or DVI-D input (not HDMI) and your graphics adapter has to be compatible.

3. conf thread starter macrumors newbie

Before reading this I actually went and did that after being adviced to do so by a store here in my city, and it works perfectly fine now! But thanks either way! :)