iMac 24" 2.8GHZ Extreme As Monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Vel, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Vel macrumors member

Hi All,

I purchased a 24" iMac a few years ago which is still in near mint condition. My only current use for the iMac is to store all my photos, to view them, and also to edit them.

I also have a PC which I have had for just over a year which is used to stream media to my PS3 and as a general storage for all my films, documents, apps etc. However I am a bit tired of the PC and I'm considering purchasing a MacPro, however I do not see the need to get a monitor (I currently connect to my PC using RDC and I don't have a keyboard, mouse or monitor attached to the machine) and I'm wondering if I can connect the MacPro directly to the iMac and use the iMac as an external monitor, as the screen is big enough and supports resolutions up to 1080p which is adequate for what I'll be using the system.

I've tried searching for an answer to this question but all the answers seem to refer to the new 27" iMac which I know has this function,

Thanks,

Ben

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

24" iMac has only video output, no input so unfortunately you can't. Sell your iMac and you can get 30" or dual 24"s for the money you get from the iMac, or keep it and by what you want. There is an app called ScreenRecycler which makes it possible to connect your Mac Pro to iMac and use its screen but seriously, iMac is quite expensive to be used as a screen