iMac 24" - around 2 years old - starting to run slow, what to do?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hollisterb, Jan 11, 2011.

1. hollisterb macrumors newbie

I have an iMac which is around 2 years old - 24" model

Can't remember the specs of hand - I'm typing from my office - anyways in last 2 weeks it is running increasingly slow - late response on clicking etc etc

I was recommended to download Onyx, I tried it but maybe I'm not using it right as it doesn't seem to make a difference but then maybe I'm not doing the right thing

I also cleaned up the HD - deleting lots of random video files downloaded that took up a lot of space but it doesn't seem to improve it's response

Any advice or tips what I could do?

Thanks

2. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Contrary to popular opinion, computers don't just slow down anywhere near to the level people believe. For example, slow response to clicking would indicate a problem rather than 'wear and tear'.

Be very careful; lots of these (including mine) have had failing hard-drives, and 2yrs after purchase is the time it seems to be hitting.

If I were you I'd look into backing everything up immediately. Then you can look at other possibilities without fear of losing data.

AppleMatt

3. hollisterb thread starter macrumors newbie

So your saying throw it away? There should be a better solution right? After backing up...put more ram it in or something on these lines?

4. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

How much free space do you have on the HD? If nearing only 10% or so, free up some space.

Try reinstalling OS X.

Check your page ins to outs ratio. Could need more ram.

Also back up now, as it could be a failing HD.

5. hollisterb thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to backup and reinstall OS tonight - will let you know - hope it works

6. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I didn't say anything like that. And putting in more RAM???

Did you even read my post?

AppleMatt

7. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Your RAM won't be the bottleneck. If you are using your computer like you always have then RAM won't be it. You're not going to use more RAM all of a sudden. My suggestion would be that some parts are running on it's last legs. I'd say that the harddrive is dying on you.

Replacing it would probably be the best option. But do a reinstall first. If it's still painfully slow, it will most likely be your problem.