iMac 24" Intel - boots up but no monitor (remains black)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Skally, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Skally macrumors newbie

I have one of the older intel core 2 duo white 24" iMacs. Have had no problems with it but a few days ago I left it to go to sleep for a few hours and now have no monitor. It comes on, power light glows, makes the coming on noise, whirs and clicks and if I plug my iPhone into it, it starts charging and even tethers but the screen remains completely black.

It may not be relevant but I downloaded and installed Lion a few months ago. Since then it has done one or two odd things like saying its not tethered when it is and twice I've done a disc and permission check with alarming results. It have repaired them. I know there are a few issues regarding Lion but it may be coincidence.

I have removed and cleaned the memory cards. Can anyone tell me how I can check if this is a software or hardware problem. I'm in Spain and not very confident about how easy it will be to get it repaired by Apple.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

2. Skally thread starter macrumors newbie

Conact a monitor to an iMac

600+ people have viewed my post but clearly no one has any suggestions. If I attach another monitor to it I should be able to work out if it's the monitor or the software - or will I? It has a monitor socket but it's a type I've never seen before. What can I plug into it? Have an old G4 Mac screen and a modern dell screen as well as various TV's.

Any advice?