iMac 27 Core 2 Duo Refurb ($1269) or iMac 27 i3 ($1439)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by stucktrader, Sep 26, 2010.

1. stucktrader macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2010
    I am trying to figure out which iMac would be most practical for my needs.

Outside of the usual word processing and the web i plan to use this machine for the following:

Occasional iMovie
    Frequent iPhoto
    Occasional Illustrator alternative drawings
    Netflix viewing
    Possible HDTV watching (eyeTV)

would the Core2D be adequate? or i3? for basically $170 difference... it gets complicated when $260 is the difference between a 3.06 GHz CD2 and a 2.66 GHz i5 non-turbo( and non-hyperthreading?)

It has also been brought to my attention that a new 27" display is $999, which means if i buy the $1270 CD2... i can just use it as a monitor with a future Mac with more power.

Any thoughts out there?
  2. spinnerlys Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    The C2D will suffice your needs more than adequately.
  3. nOw2 macrumors regular

Sep 1, 2009
    For your usage you're probably not going to notice the difference, even down to an older 2.0GHz 2007 iMac (I know I don't).

However it's up to you to look at the performance difference and see if it's worth the money. The i3 does have quite a jump up from the C2D.
  4. Hellhammer Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    C2D is sufficient for your need but for 260$, the i5 should be worth it. It's nearly twice as fast plus you get a better GPU. Makes it more "future-proof"
  5. stucktrader thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2010
    Thanks everyone for your input

Well, i guess i am getting the C2D 27" imac... my reasoning is that there really is no such thing as future-proofing if i am thinking >3 years.

i am more concerned with future proofing the monitor... i should be able to add a mini to this monitor in time that will overtake the current i3.

The extra $ will go to buying a iPod that my wife's been asking for... now those refurbs are A LOT easier to figure out what to buy:)

words such as: "unnoticeable" "adequate" "satisfactory" from this and other threads have been helpful...