iMac 27" dual thunderbolt dual monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CraigJ, Aug 18, 2011.

1. CraigJ macrumors member

Here is my current plan.

I currently have 2 of the new Dell U2412 monitors (really nice BTW). I'm thinking of upgrading to the latest iMac with dual thunderbolt ports. I know that I can hook up a monitor to each TB port, that's easy. Thinking of using mini displayport to displayport cables for this since the monitors support DP: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200602

I know that TB is daisy-chainable. My question is, is there any way that I can use the TB port(s) for external storage at the same time? Is there some sort of hub or splitter available?

Or does anyone have any experience hooking up an external storage device and then hooking a monitor up to that?

2. frontsidebus macrumors newbie

The only way of doing that at the moment is with the apple "Thunderbolt" display. No hubs have been announced.

3. CraigJ thread starter macrumors member

With the forthcoming LaCie thunderbolt little big disk, can I daisy chain a monitor to it? in other words can I hook up the drive to my iMac then hook up the monitor to that?

4. rajsukul macrumors newbie

Daisy Chain

Yep, that's fine. The LaCie disk can be the first device in the chain and then from the disk you can go into the monitor via the adaptor.