IMAC 27" I3 will not sleep in OS X [10.6.7] but it will sleep in Windows 7 32 bit

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pyounderfire, Apr 23, 2011.

1. pyounderfire macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone:

I've come back to the mac world. I've been away ever since my apple G3 was stolen. Now, I bought an apple I3 IMac 27". Hummm, I still miss my G3. Anyways, let's get to the problem.

In these threads, everyone is having problems with their IMac's not sleeping in Windows 7. Well not me. For me, my IMac is not sleeping in OS X [10.6.7]. I thought there was a hardware issue. Just to make sure it was not, I erased the hard drive and reinstalled the OS. Then, it was fine for awhile until I started installing software. The last thing I installed was skype in OS. And now it does not go to sleep in OS. Why doesn't my IMac fall asleep on its own in OS X? Could it be boot camp? Or, could it be skype? And yes, I reset the PRAM and followed the directions on the apple web-site and I even called apple care but, to no avail. I should have bought a Windows machine!

Just kidding....

Can someone help me please? If it's a skype issue then, I understand. But, why on earth would skype prevent my IMac from sleeping even when it is closed. It just doesn't make any sense for the programmers to have skype conflict with OSX 10.6.7; they would have resolved these types of conflicts by now.

Thanks everyone!

Peter

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It may have something running in the background that prevents the automatic sleeping. Check system prefs, accounts, your account, login items to see if it starts up automatically at login. If it does, select that and click the minus button. You can also check activity monitor to see if there are programs running in the background keeping it awake.

3. pyounderfire thread starter macrumors newbie

A reply to your suggestion.... And a question

I knew someone would suggest that... LOL! In user accounts under my name the only thing I see is ituneshelper and some speech thing. But, would ituneshelper prevent my IMac from sleeping, I wonder?

Regards,

Peter

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm not sure. I have the same issue with my MacBook most of the time, it just won't fully sleep by itself, only the display sleeps. I have never been able to get to the root of it, although I think iTunesHelper may have had something to do with it. I got rid of it, since the only thing it does is open iTunes when an iDevice is connected.

5. pyounderfire thread starter macrumors newbie

A reply to your comment.... And a question

Did your action of getting rid of ituneshelper solve your problem because you stated that you never solved your problem on your MBP, if I understood you correctly.

Regards,

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It was fairly recently, and I don't often let it go to sleep, so I honestly haven't noticed yet, although I think I did catch it working right earlier today.

7. pyounderfire thread starter macrumors newbie

A reply to your comment!

ok... I will try that and post my findings on this thread in the late morning or early afternoon sometime today.

Regards,

8. pyounderfire thread starter macrumors newbie

A reply to your comment!

OK... Deleting Ituneshelper did not work. My IMac still won't sleep... Any other ideas. However, the IMac boots much faster now!

I'll try your other suggestions that you stated earlier sometime today!

Regards,

Peter

P.S. Any other suggestions from anyone, while I await alust2013 to suggest anything else would be great.

9. pyounderfire thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved - I hope

For now - in MAC OS X 10.6.7, I have found the answer.

The answer is: the parental controls. When parental controls are off then, the IMac will fall asleep.

Regards,

Peter