iMac 27" non-Retina i5 Quad Core/3.4Ghz/8GB RAM/Video 2GB/1TB HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Advance The Man, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

iMac Late 2013
    3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB
    1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB GDDR5
    Apple Magic Mouse

I found what looks to be sufficient for my family's needs used for $1,500. It is a computer from a company that used it for a few days then did not use for a while and had it boxed up. It was purchased late 2013. Looks immaculate. Is $1,500 a fair price?

Other consideration is refurb (warranty) or just going new. I do like the fact that there is no tax and immediate gratification of taking computer home and not having to order and wait. Thanks!

2. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

Should of put 'Price Advice' before heading. Really appreciate some help here, need to make a decision on purchasing. Is not having a warranty a concern on this iMac?

3. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like $1,659 plus tax - but it would have a year warranty. Are you saying don't get a normal hard drive cause they're slow? I've heard no feedback on fusion HD's.

4. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

http://prices.appleinsider.com/

Fusion is 128GB SSD and 1 TB hard drive.
    With SSD everything is snappy.
    In that Link B&h has no tax.
    Stay away from Macmall though.

5. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

That would be nice to have a fusion. Seems you think it's worth the extra $1,049 (listed at $2549 and I can get the local iMac at $1500). For me I don't think it'll be worth it. Am I missing something?

6. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

If everything is working on that iMac,go for it.
    Remember its out of warranty, God forbid something goes wrong,dead pixel or yellowing of display or xyz.
    If you are planning to keep for a long time, I rather spend some more and have peace of mind.
    Best Buy has deals all the time,go to your local post office,get the change of address booklet for free, has a 10% off bestbuy coupon any item.

----------

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE088LL/A/refurbished-27-inch-imac-32ghz-quad-core-Intel-Core-i5

Get refurb and buy applecare from B&H for 122

----------

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1006609-REG/apple_me088ll_a_27_imac_desktop_computer.html

This one has no tax.

7. Advance The Man thread starter macrumors 6502

I paid $1,400 for the used one they were originally asking $1,600. I like it. It is fine for family use. I appreciate your replies.

8. Hungry&Foolish Suspended