Imac 27" with thunderbolt connectors as an external monitor for a windows Laptop?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by veteq, Nov 8, 2011.

1. veteq macrumors member

I remember reading about some issues with this setup but because I didn't need this feature I didn't pay much attention.

Is this even possible? what cable do I need?

It's a 3 month old IMAC 27" I7 computer.

Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Does your windows laptop have thunderbolt? I thought Apple owned it exclusively for a few more months.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The version that just has DisplayPort, not Thunderbolt, will work fine as a display to any Windows system with a DisplayPort output, as long as you have the proper physical adapter.

The Thunderbolt model will only work with a Mac with Thunderbolt.

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

So originating signal from TB can push Display port but Display port can't push to a TB equipped display?

5. veteq thread starter macrumors member

That is what I was afraid off? I was hoping that there was a dvi to thunderbolt adaptor that would allow me to connect the two.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Correct. There is no target display mode in the 2011 iMac except from a TB mac computer.

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

There is nothing at all like that available. And, considering the iMac is the only computer with such a 'target display mode' (and very likely to be the only one,) I doubt anyone will ever create such an adapter. Just too limited of a market. (And likely too expensive of an adapter.)

8. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Thanks.

9. eloh macrumors member

Hey Here is the thing though, I have a Late 2009 iMac and my mini display port is not working when connected to the PS3. (brand new adapter and hdmi cable) .

Could it be that apple had converted all iMacs to only use the thunderbolt?

I have Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and my display port status say not connected, but I also see a Thunderbolt section under Hardware. It says Thunderbolt: No hardware was found.

Can some one tell me if all iMacs must now use a Thunderbolt.

10. AdrianK macrumors 68020

The answer is no, TB is a hardware feature, so that would entirely disable the mini Display Port.

11. eloh macrumors member

Thanks! Yeah I was doing some additional research and I found that I need to use the Belkin adapter...That is the adapter I was originally looking at but I thought $150.00...$30.00, "I'll save some cash" and now I just found out about the whole passive/active situation.

So I guess I will just keep playing in my living room on the 45" and not in my man cave on the 27". $150 is too steep for my bank, "I got kids to feed"...lol

12. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Yeah the 2009/2010 iMacs only support full target display resolutions and functionality when connecting Displayport devices. It works fine connecting a Windows PC with a Mini-Displayport connector but not one with HDMI output (unless you use the expensive convertor). It's a nice feature but not enough folks use it to make it worthwhile for adapter/convertor manufacturers to produce more reasonably priced solutions.

Cheers,