iMac 27inch i5 with 2GB of VRAM. (gaming)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Vladimur, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Vladimur macrumors newbie

Hello everybody, this is my first forum post so forgive me if I do something wrong.

I have a few questions regarding the 27inch iMac and whether or not it is a strong system for gaming. I'm not the biggest gamer, but I would like to start playing some PC games in my off time (through windows 7 of course). I play World of Warcraft, and i've done some research and it will run on the highest settings. But I'm wondering how the computer would run games such as Skyrim or other new releases. Can most games run at a 2560 by 1440 resolution?

Thanks in Advance!

2. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

It would be OK for gaming. No more no less. If you are buying it solely for gaming, then don't buy a mac. 2GB isn't really enough anyway.
    If you want your games to be running in top settings then definitely don't get a mac. I am a console gamer, never really got into pc gaming, though I do dabble sometimes. If you are going to be using it for much more than just gaming, then go for it.

3. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

I asked my self the same question when i bought mine, i ended up with a i5 and 1GB of vram. Decided that it wasn't worth getting it, because of the wait. Ordered more ram from macsales instead. Plays BF3 on high @ 1080p, couldn't be happier. :)

4. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

Ok

First don't listen to the person who just posted above me about 2gb not enough for gaming that is completely wrong intact 2gb is too much for gaming no games really take advantage of the extra VRAM but they will in the future and it will be fine for gaming for wow but for heavy duty games like skyrim and crysis 2 it will have to be ran at 1080p whih will be good upgrading the ram would help
    Too but buy it from owc

No not above me the first person to respond someone responded while I was writing

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Skyrim runs just fine on my 27inch iMac, and mine is the very first 27inch iMac with a mobility 4850.

It runs on mine just fine at native resolution and maxed out settings with 30fps as long as I don't use any anti-aliasing-- which is a huge killer for such a high resolution. Also note that at such a high resolution anti-aliasing really isn't needed either.

I have no doubt your newer gpu could max it out at native resolution and then some.

I personally wouldn't run it at 1080p. 1080p w/ anti aliasing looks way worse than native w/o anti aliasing to me personally.

6. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

It's definitely a decent gaming system. You can get more powerful gaming systems for the same price, but you can run many games at native resolutions on high settings just fine with the 2 gig graphics on the iMac. Although it is a mobile GPU (and not as good as a desktop GPU), it can still handle most games jut fine.

But, as someone mentioned earlier, if you want the computer mostly for gaming (as opposed to other uses), your money will go much further with a pc, especially a custom one. But the iMac will still do a fine job at gaming, and will of course be very fast for everything else you'll probably doing...

7. Vladimur thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much guys!

I also have another question, the iMac uses DDR3 memory, so I could swap my 8GB of macbook memory with the iMac?

8. Logos327 macrumors 6502

As others have said, this guy is definitely wrong. Only a few games currently take advantage of >1gb of VRAM.

A comprable gaming PC could be built for ~$700, so if you are really interested in gaming, you could double that, get a great gaming rig, and still pay less than the iMac.

9. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

They are interchangable yes. Even if it's only 1066DDR3.

10. Vladimur thread starter macrumors newbie

What's the major difference between a mobile and desktop GPU?

11. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

It used to be mobility gpus were just underclocked versions of their desktop, but nowadays a lot mobile gpus are really an underclocked desktop gpu of a lower class. For instance A mobility gpu was an underclocked desktop 4850, while a mobility 5850 was an underclocked desktop 5750. I'm not too sure how they go about with the 6000 series.

The iMac has sufficient enough cooling to allow for very modest overclockings, but don't get too wild with it.

12. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

A 6970m is an underclocked 6850 desktop card. Usually they underclock and turn off shaders for mobility versions. And some times, the m version is not even in the same class as the desktop variety. Calling the 6970m a 6970 is laughable. Not even 50% as powerful as the desktop version. But if you are doing any gaming get the best card you can which is the 6970m (6850).

13. leman macrumors 604

The iMac will smoothly run (30 FPS+, no visual lag noticeable) modern games at native resolution. Skyrim/WoW are both no problem at all, as is EvE online (even under OS X). BF3 may be a bit lowish on FPS for some people (although its ok for me). Just ton't turn on AA (which you don't need with that display anyway).

Also, 2GB card is IMHO a waste of money. The 1440p framebuffer will all bells and whistles (like floating point pixels for HDR) will easily fit in under 200megs of VRAM and the remaining space should be enough for any decently-coded game. 2GB of VRAM only makes sense either when using AA or ultra-high-res textures. The iMac GPU won't be able to handle AA, and as to ultra-high-res-textures... well, try finding a game which actually uses them :)

14. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

i have the iMac below and i think the game performance is amazing. i don't know if its the memory, gfx card, or cpu but the gaming abilities have way exceeded my expectations. i play warcraft in OSX in the screen's native res with nearly everything cranked up all the way and it runs perfectly smoothly. I don't think you'll need to use windows for wow. I have also, so far, played Bioshock with the same results (again in OSX). I know WOW is designed to be fairly undemanding graphically, and bioshock is an old game, but my gaming so far has been a pleasure.

15. Vladimur thread starter macrumors newbie

If anyone had to guess, what settings could I run Skyrim on?

Thanks

16. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Native resolution with max settings, 2x aa. Probably get around 50fps average.

Currently it seems as though transparency multisampling is bugged with skyrim-- at least on amd cards-- so shrubs and branches will look blocky, and no amount of anti-aliasing will help. I hope a patch or new drivers get released soon to alleviate that.

17. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I've got the same iMac, what settings are you using? How do you turn off anti-aliasing (within the game or Windows?)

18. leman macrumors 604

At native res, max settings, no AA ~45 fps (benchmarked with fraps)

19. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

Within the launch menu of the game itself, there's an option to turn off AA. If you have AA on within catalyst control center, you should change it to 'use application settings'

Sorry I forgot to say I leave shadows at medium, as well. Everything maxed except no aa and shadows at medium.

20. Sarlana macrumors newbie

27in IMac Video/Graphic Settings (Lion) (4gb) for WoW

Just purchased the above comp, and I am wondering what the ideal video/graphic settings are for Wow with this comp.
    Also, if anyone could fill me in on the settings for the track pad to run/walk in game? I don't think it's possible, to be honest.
    If not, having difficulties setting my mouse to have character run/walk. Don't hate, I am impatient to scour forums, so this may be a repeat!! Thanks a bunch!!!

21. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

IMHO there is a modest gain when going from 1GB to 2GB, here is a link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1149672

It all comes down to whether you consider the price is worth. There will be times when it will be worth it whilst others it has no impact. Personally for me I just handed over the cash since it was a fairly cheap upgrade since i was maxing out the CPU to an i7 3.4Ghz so why not go the full monty and do the GPU at the same time.

22. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

It's a solid gaming computer. No better than that, but certainly solid.

The reason why I won't buy another iMac is that the GPU - which is 'alright' from the outset - can't be upgraded. What-you-buy is what-you're-stuck with. In all other respects, I think they're marvellous computers.

23. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Are you all gaming on OS X? Using any measure of benchmarking in OS X does not paint a very accurate picture. OpenGL ports and Apple have serious SW issues that cap all kinds of things on the HW. Steam is probably the best example. But I get 20-80% higher frames in every game on same HW in Windows. Just the way it is. DirectX also looks sharper. The OS X GL ports cast a gross soft shadow (blurry) thing.

24. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

No, mate. Windows, I was talking about.

25. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

OK. Maybe "we" should stop posting OS X OpenGL port benchmarks then as a way of shifting possible upgrade options. All the Barefeats stuff is usually OS X unless specified.