iMac 3,06 vs macbook pro 2,5 + monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by domiS, Oct 22, 2008.

1. domiS macrumors newbie

I'm looking into buying a mac for Design and music production.
    Ill use indesign, ps cs3, illustrtor cs3 and pro tools for music.

Is it a big difference between these two macs besides one of them are portable? Will a macbook pro + 24'' monitor be a iMac 2,8 with a portable option? Is the 3,06 MUTCH stronger than a 2,53 mbp?

I cant decide, i've sold my pc's, and need to be sure of what to get.
    thx!:)

2. glowjangles macrumors newbie

same boat. Portability an issue? I also would like to know my mac can handle tasks fluidly.

3. Hatchet macrumors regular

I pretty much do the same things you do except for music and I'm selling my iMac 24" to use my MBP + external monitor.

My reasoning is because the MBP can handle all my tasks for web design and I'll be able to take it wherever needed. I've run into the issue of being away from my computer on trips and needing to access those files for clients so it makes sense for me in that aspect.

It's also cheaper than having both a desktop and laptop and having to try to sync them together.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The iMac should offer a little bit more power, but if price is not a consideration then I think the portability offered by the MBP is worth the slight decrease in performance. It would certainly manage all of the tasks you describe, and you're not limited to one location with it. Big upside in my book. :)

FWIW, I use my MacBook with an external monitor setup, and the flexibility is fantastic. If I were to own only one computer, it would almost certainly be a laptop.

5. domiS thread starter macrumors newbie

I just saw i could upgrade the new mbp to 2,8 ghz! That makes it even stronger, and i find it cheaper to have ambp+monitor than a iMac and a mbp.

The only thing i need to know is if i can close down the mbp screen when i use the other monitor without hurting the macbook.
    This would be amazing! I could just put the monitor on top of the mbp, if i can close it ofcourse. :apple:

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If you mean running an external monitor with MBP closed yes thats possible

7. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

As I posted in another thread, unless you keep the laptop on 24/7 you're going to have to remove the monitor to lift the top and activate the machine.

8. Lebowski135 macrumors newbie

I'm in the same position myself, but the new MBP's are completely out of the question for me. Keep in mind that they only come with 1 Firewire port. That means you're either going to have to run your controller or your recording interface through USB, neither of which have acceptable latency for me.

Apple really screwed musicians this time around.

9. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I'll recommend the MBP plus monitor option. I had an iMac once and when the display died, it essentially rendered the computer un-useable.

The MBP as Apple describes it has desktop graphics in a portable form.

I don't think you can go wrong with either option but I think the MBP plus a monitor gives you more flexibility.