Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onecoolazzgeek

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
So, I was going to buy the 5K iMac after saying my gaming PC and raising about $2000. After lots of searching, I found an open box at Best Buy for $2114. At the same time, I also saw that they had an open box non-retina 27 (with two small dents in the lower left corner of the front) for $1310. Not wanting to pass up a good deal, I looked around for something to make my brain say "It's OK not to go Retina" when I found that another Best Buy in the area had the HP Envy 32 monitor for $479. I had no clue what that monitor was but, after reading reviews and specs, I was sold:

32 inches
10000000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio (3000:1 Static)
1 x DisplayPort 1.2
2 x HDMI
1 x MHL
2 x Front facing 6-watt speakers with beats audio
Remote control for input/volume control
Aluminum base to match the iMac
(Most Importanty) the same 2560x1440 resolution as the iMac

After buying these two things, and adding 4gb of ram I had laying around the house to make my total 12gb, I've setup my new office and enjoying some lovely multitasking.

TL;DR: I was going to get a 5K iMac but was pleasantly surprised with cheaper Quad-HD dual monitor setup (which is still cheaper with my open box deal or not).

Pic of my new digs (Amiibos in tow):
Desk setup by onecoolazzgeek, on Flickr

Last edited:

Starry

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
California
My jaw dropped when you said you found a 27" for $1310!!! Wow! Congrats on your new computer! Is it the latest model as well?

Edit; the cheapest I found within a 50 mile radius was $1600 :O

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What are the specs on the 27"?

I like your setup a lot!

I've been trying to convince myself to get a dual monitor setup but I have no reason or need for it. Just something I want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.