Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toru411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
Hey there,

So right now I have a 15" i5 dual core MBP which is a fantastic machine. I use it for school work, light video editing done on iMovie, and also gaming mostly through Steam. I do worry about potential problems doing this all on my computer. Although not straining the power of the computer, I worry about the battery problems down the road, and other problems going on inside the computer that I cannot see (not too sure what can go wrong haha). I usually keep the fans running at 4000RPM which keeps temperatures around 60degrees C even while just surfing the web.

I have reached the point where I would like to start using it more at home on a larger monitor, so my question is- Should I buy a new external monitor and keep my MBP running on that, or buy the new iMac (hopefully coming out soon) which would be used as my primary computer, and having the MBP for school and on vacation.

Hopefully my thoughts were explained clearly, and any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks and have a good one :)

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

My setup is a 2009 iMac and a MBA, but I'd say because your MacBook has a fair bit of power, go with the display. What graphics card have you got in there? That's a big deciding factor if you're going to be playing games and editing video on that bigger screen

toru411

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2011
I've got the Nvidia 330m 256MB. Are the new graphic cards on the base 27" iMac a signifcant upgrade?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.