iMac as a secondary monitor for a WinXP laptop... Is it possible?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DDustiNN, Oct 23, 2012.

1. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

I am thinking of getting a new computer within the next few months, and it seems to be perfect timing with the announcement of the new iMac. I like how compact and nice-looking it is.

My question is... Can it be used as an external monitor for an HP laptop using WinXP? My work laptop has a very tiny screen, so when I work from home I'd love to have a larger screen to work with.

So if this will work, what kind of cable would I need? And is there any special setup I'd have to do, or just plug it in? I'm hoping for something quick and easy.

On a side note, I'd also like to do the same thing with my MacBook Air for app development, although this isn't exactly a requirement.

Thanks for any input :D

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Not unless the Windows laptop happens to have Thunderbolt output, which is highly unlikely.

3. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

As far as I know, iMac only has video OUT, you would need a video IN from your laptop. The iMac's I use anyway don't allow this. Would be a nice feature though.

4. DDustiNN thread starter macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

It certainly does not. Is that really the only option? There's no conversion cable or anything? Or like a regular monitor port or something? I think I might be bummed :(

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

No, starting with the 2011 iMac, the only video in accepted is Thunderbolt and there are no adapters from other kinds of input.

6. DDustiNN thread starter macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Well that explains the conflicting information I keep finding when I search, some yes and some no...

Sad news indeed :(

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The MBA will handle it just fine though. :)