iMac can't connect to 1 of 3 Windows PCs on network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lastmboy, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Lastmboy macrumors regular

I can't find any solution to this one, so thought I would try here. I have an iMac (mid 2011) setup on a network with 3 Windows-7 PCs. Since I added the iMac a few weeks ago, I have not really had any problems accessing SMB shares on all three PCs. The only issue I had is that every couple of days, the connection to one of the PCs (always the same one) would drop and it would not connect again until I re-booted that PC. However, other computers could see it fine. Regardless, I could still at least access it if I re-booted it.

A couple of days ago, the connection to this one PC was lost again, so I re-booted it. However, now, when the iMac tries to connect to it, it pops up the login window asking for user name and password. I enter both and the window just "wiggles" and stays there. I assume that means it thinks the password is wrong. The password, however, is not wrong. Even though nothing had been changed on the PC, I double checked the user account, reset the password, checked all the network share settings, tested logging into it several times, tried creating a new admin user account and connecting with that, re-booted the pc, re-booted the iMac.... nada. It just keeps asking for the user id and password.

Anyone have any idea why it suddenly can't connect to this pc, when nothing has changed? The domain is the same as the others, and I have no problem at all connecting to the others. Thanks for any help. I'm stumped.

2. samdev macrumors regular

How is your network connected? Wireless? Ethernet?

Instead of initiating connection from iMac, have you tried initiating connection from the
    PC side instead?

3. Lastmboy, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

Lastmboy thread starter macrumors regular

Gigabit Ethernet with cat6 cables. The status on both the PCs and the iMac indicate they are "gigabit connected".

I haven't tried connecting the other way (pc to mac), yet. I can give that a try. I'm not quite sure how to share a drive on the iMac, yet, but I'm sure it's not rocket science and there are a likely million guides online. :D

----------

I should also mention that the iMac can see the offending PC on the network. It just won't allow a connection to it.

4. canuckle macrumors regular

Had a similar issue and had to use Owner as the user and my admin pw (even though my user name was NOT owner, lol)

5. samdev, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

samdev macrumors regular

I always use the IP address (e.g. 192.168.8.1) instead of the machine name when setting up
    a network connection. Window/Mac machines are really dumb when it comes to machine names.

To connect to a shared Mac folder from my PC, I have to type in:
    \\192.168.8.1\Shared\

from Tools -> Map Network Drive.

All backward slashes are important, including the last one.

And all machines should have an admin password. Windows might allow users to
    skip welcome login by using a blank password, but always make sure admin account has some
    kind of password.

6. Lastmboy thread starter macrumors regular

I finally figured it out! You'll never guess what the problem was...
    Something had screwed up the calendar/clock on the pc. The date was set to two days ago. I changed it to today and everything works perfectly.