IMAC CATALINA 10.15 LOGIN FIELD ENDLESS CHARACTER LOOP

markajh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
ARGH. When I open the login screen for my iMac after it was logged out, the login field begins to enter an endless loop of characters. It can't be stopped. I hit escape, enter, cancel etc. It eventually gives me a blank field to enter a password to login. A few times I've had to hard start the iMac. I really hate this LOL

Anyone have any ideas? I'd be happy to hear that it's operator error. Hopefully fixing this doesn't require command strings 'cuz that is not something I am comfortable with. Thanks in advance...

Mark

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
ARGH. When I open the login screen for my iMac after it was logged out, the login field begins to enter an endless loop of characters. It can't be stopped. I hit escape, enter, cancel etc. It eventually gives me a blank field to enter a password to login. A few times I've had to hard start the iMac. I really hate this LOL

Anyone have any ideas? I'd be happy to hear that it's operator error. Hopefully fixing this doesn't require command strings 'cuz that is not something I am comfortable with. Thanks in advance...

Mark
It almost sounds like a bad keyboard? Like something is sending keystrokes even though you aren’t pressing keys? I’ve had an issue in Catalina where, when I’m typing, it randomly thinks i hit the space bar a bunch of problems. It only happens when using the magic keyboard on bluetooth - when I plug it into the mac using the lightning cable, it stops.

Maybe see if you can isolate it to a keyboard issue.

markajh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
Good idea. My Cockatoo did pry off a few keys. I've been wanting a new one - this is the perfect excuse :) I'll try that - thanks !!!!!

markajh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2020
Pretty sure it is - birds are beautiful, fun, and sooooo evil hehe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.