Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iMac Conroe

thechefxxxv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
14
0
Does anyone think that the iMac will be based off of Intel's Core 2 Duo desktop processor?:confused: I think the Mac Mini will stay using the laptop processors, but the imac should move to Conroe, instead of Merom:p . Any thoughts on this?
 

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
611
604
Europe
Dude, this has been posted about too many times to mention! Search is your friend;)

But, yes the iMac will probably get Conroe processors

Cheers
 

milozauckerman

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2005
477
0
But, yes the iMac will probably get Conroe processors
I would downgrade that to 'maybe get.'

Conroe means a complete re-design after the CD. You're going to need a lot more cooling, and a complete change in components (HD aside, the iMac's current guts are laptop parts). After the well-received near-silent, mostly problem-less iMac Core Duo, will Apple go back to a high-heat model with more fan noise and potential issues? I'm not sure that they will.
 

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
3,771
1
Rhode Island
I think Intel Core 2 Duo (sorry, I get all the code names mixed up :confused: ) belongs in the Mac Pro, not the iMac. The iMac is a consumer level desktop, and doesn't need quad processors, that whould just be overkill. Plus, why upgrade the processors so soon? I can see maybe a speed bump to the iMac, but not a new processor. What the iMac needs is a fresh design.
 

Fredou51

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
104
0
Kingston, Ontario, Canada
ghall said:
I think Intel Core 2 Duo (sorry, I get all the code names mixed up :confused: ) belongs in the Mac Pro, not the iMac. The iMac is a consumer level desktop, and doesn't need quad processors, that whould just be overkill. Plus, why upgrade the processors so soon? I can see maybe a speed bump to the iMac, but not a new processor. What the iMac needs is a fresh design.

Core 2 Duo is a Dual Core, not a quad core. They achieve quad core using two Xeon 5100 (Woodcrest) in the Mac Pro now (Woodcrest is Multi Processor capable). The iMac will definitely go Core 2 Duo. The question is whether Apple will use Core 2 Duo Mobile (Merom) or Core 2 Duo Desktop (Conroe). I think they will use the more powerful and cheaper Conroe even if they need to redesign.
 

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
1,222
0
Fredou51 said:
Core 2 Duo is a Dual Core, not a quad core. They achieve quad core using two Xeon 5100 (Woodcrest) in the Mac Pro now (Woodcrest is Multi Processor capable). The iMac will definitely go Core 2 Duo. The question is whether Apple will use Core 2 Duo Mobile (Merom) or Core 2 Duo Desktop (Conroe). I think they will use the more powerful and cheaper Conroe even if they need to redesign.

I'm thinking they'll definitely use Conroe in the iMac and leave Merom for the portables, the desktop needs to have a desktop chip!!! :mad: well Merom and Conroe are still the exact same Core 2 Duo but the extra FSB on Conroe will help the iMac pull ahead significantly.
 

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
1,222
0
Actually its not that logical, if they could put a friggin G5 in there I'm quite sure Conroe will fit in there perfectly, Conroe is not that much hotter than Yonah, especially considering the iMac is a desktop not a laptop.

It would be stupid to put merom in the iMac and most likely they'll put Conroe, people just make assumptions, there is no need to completely redesign ANYTHING to stick a friggin Conroe in there, it won't make it hot, noisy or problem-prone either.

Sorry I'm a little upset, it would be a dumb decision to pluck merom on the iMac, Conroe is the logical choice, the iMac is a desktop, it should have a desktop processor like it always has, the G5 had the worse performance per watt ratio in the world i think and the iMac had it and yet people still loved their iMac G5s. For god's sake people don't even know the difference between Conroe and Merom and go around saying the first thing that pops into their heads.
 

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
10,635
0
Working for MI-6
Chone said:
the G5 had the worse performance per watt ratio in the world i think and the iMac had it and yet people still loved their iMac G5s.

Not so sure that is the case Chone, I am pretty sure the Pentium 4's performance per watt ratio was/is worse than the PowerPC G5. :)
 
F

freakonguitar

Guest
considering that they had g5's in imacs which gotta run somewhere as hot as a conroe.....why would they need a complete redesign? just do wahtever they did to keep the G5's from roasting themselves to death :p
 

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
1,222
0
freakonguitar said:
considering that they had g5's in imacs which gotta run somewhere as hot as a conroe.....why would they need a complete redesign? just do wahtever they did to keep the G5's from roasting themselves to death :p

Conroe is MUCH MUCH MUCH more cooler than G5..., its barely much hotter than Yonah...
 

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
373
0
Chone said:
It would be stupid to put merom in the iMac and most likely they'll put Conroe, people just make assumptions, there is no need to completely redesign ANYTHING to stick a friggin Conroe in there, it won't make it hot, noisy or problem-prone either.

I'm not going to make any assumptions here but they cannot simply drop a conroe into an iMac. The conroe chip is not pin compatible or is not compatible with the motherboard the iMac uses, so they cannot just stick a conroe in there.
 

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
2,208
325
Raleigh, NC
Someone needs to do a Merom, Conroe in the iMac poll.

Personally, I expect a Merom. Although I'm HOPING for a Conroe, seeing as I will be purchasing an iMac after they update.
 

ridergroov

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
5
0
Where is the next iMac?

Ahh..the next gen iMac thread I have been looking for. Where the hell are these new iMacs? They have to be getting one of the core 2 duos, but what is taking so damn long? I'm relatively new to Macs so I can't really complain about things that I don't know much about but this seems like a ridiculously long time for them to wait to update. Even DELL has changed over to freaking core 2s. Come on. I bought a mini about this time last year and it was great and I love Mac now and I want to upgrade but I'm not about to buy a core duo knowing they will probably update soon...but when? Has anyone heard anything about when ANY update would happen? Gotta be soon...
 

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
2,136
0
ridergroov said:
Ahh..the next gen iMac thread I have been looking for. Where the hell are these new iMacs? They have to be getting one of the core 2 duos, but what is taking so damn long? I'm relatively new to Macs so I can't really complain about things that I don't know much about but this seems like a ridiculously long time for them to wait to update. Even DELL has changed over to freaking core 2s. Come on. I bought a mini about this time last year and it was great and I love Mac now and I want to upgrade but I'm not about to buy a core duo knowing they will probably update soon...but when? Has anyone heard anything about when ANY update would happen? Gotta be soon...

Most people dont care about the processor or even know that they dont have the newest. So them waiting isnt hurting sales.

It will happen when it happens. Maybe Apple is planning something big which is why they are waiting. Maybe they have no intention of switching to them when santa rosa is around the corner.

No need to be antsy for something you cant control.
 

ridergroov

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
5
0
right..

Yeah you are right to a degree. I'm just going to be pissed if I buy one now and a month later there is a conroe iMac. I won't be happy.
 

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
6,880
1,202
dmw007 said:
I agree with iGary, I expect the iMac to to get Merom based Core 2 Duos. :)

Yeah, I wished it got conroe, but it doesn't really need it. When people hear "conroe" they think oh its so much better than the merom, which is kinda true, but consumers don't need that kind of power. and if you do, go pro :)
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,588
121
Zwhaler said:
Yeah, I wished it got conroe, but it doesn't really need it. When people hear "conroe" they think oh its so much better than the merom, which is kinda true, but consumers don't need that kind of power. and if you do, go pro :)

I personally would say 95% of consumers wouldnt know anything about chips at all. No one I know would have a clue. The majority of this forum are cluey and in the know :)
 

exabytes18

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2006
287
0
Suburb of Chicago
I believe that the iMac will get a Conroe. Leaving it with a Merom creates a huge hole in their product line-up. I believe I might fall into that hole, too, ouch, I think I broke my leg :mad:. Let the Mini get the Merom and give the iMac what it deserves, the Conroe.
 

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
3,588
121
From what I gather merom is meant more for portable computers so wouldn't it be more likely the Imacs would get a desktop chip?
 

exabytes18

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2006
287
0
Suburb of Chicago
viccles said:
From what I gather merom is meant more for portable computers so wouldn't it be more likely the Imacs would get a desktop chip?

Exactly.

Merom : G4 :: Conroe : G5

EDIT: Just to throw this out there... How about a [complete] redesign of the iMac soon.
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
18,377
44
1123.6536.5321
exabytes18 said:
Exactly.

Merom : G4 :: Conroe : G5

Not quite - the G4 and G5 were completely different chip architectures. The Merom and Conroe are both based on the same Core 2 Duo chipset, it's just that Merom is the mobile version and Conroe is the desktop version. But I know what you're saying. Keep in mind though that if IBM could have done what they said they were going to do (or at least without taking so long in getting the 970FX out!), we would have had G5s in laptops as well.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.