Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iMac/eMac Bumps

rman2008

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2002
michigan
hopefully these new models will have the long awaited 19" flat panel. I also wish that the 19" will be available as a display as well. id like to see significant price drops in the studio and cinema displays. that would make a great belated christmas gift for me!

-ray

Comment

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by rman2008
hopefully these new models will have the long awaited 19" flat panel. I also wish that the 19" will be available as a display as well. id like to see significant price drops in the studio and cinema displays. that would make a great belated christmas gift for me!

-ray

the thing is... i looked at a 17" iMac next to a 17" studio display... and man, it's obvious that the size difference is there.

What i'd HOPE upon HOPE that apple would do is keep the iMac at 17", because a 19" iMac, if done properly would be too bulky and done improperly would just be marketing hype.

Apple can't afford that...for sure.

I'd be happy if the spread went like this:

933 iMac 15"/256/60/32mb vram/combo $1199

1.0ghz iMac 17"/256/60/32mb vram/combo
$1399

1.0ghz iMac 17"/512/80/64mb vram/superdrive
$1699

As for the ol' eMac.....

800 mhz 256/40/32mb vram/cd-rw
$999

933 mhz 256/60/32mb vram/combo
$1199

1.0ghz 512/60/32mb vram/superdrive
$1499

I think that's a doable little speed bump. and makes the iMac and eMac very competitive.

Also, I think that if Apple wants to do something with displays.... well:

drop the 15"

Make the 17" 599
Make a std aspect ratio 19" @ $999

Make a wide 17" (same as iMac) @ $999
Make a wide 19" at $1399

I think that would be nice, to have a mixture of wide and traditional aspect ratios....maybe a new case too.

Maybe i'm dreaming.

Who knows. And give me a CF reader that attaches to my iPod! PLEASE!

Comment

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
1GHz eMac? no thanks
those 800 mhz imacs/emacs are fast like powermacs@500 mhz, they all have some sort of crappy scaled down processors
performance in games is terrible compared to half cheaper pc's.. no support for secondary display
they all come with those superdrives? why would i want superdrive who reads cd's @ 24x and burns them @ 8x? Why cant they sell them with some 40x cdrw burner or 32x8x combo, why do they always put inferior stuff in it?

seems to me powermacs/powerbooks are the only way to go.

Comment

AssassinOfGates

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
A cardboard box.
19" on an iMac. I shudder thinking at it. The 17" is already a bit too big for the base, so I'm doubtful. Besides, its MOSR. they totally ****ed up on the reports of my dual 867, all the more reason to doubt. Although I can see a 933 / 1GHz processor in the revisions

Comment

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
Originally posted by Moxiemike

$1399

I would run, not walk, to MicroCenter to put an order in for one. But, I doubt they will be that cheap.

Comment

The Sheck

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2002
Cottage Grove

As for the ol' eMac.....

800 mhz 256/40/32mb vram/cd-rw
$999

The 800MHz model comes equipped with a Superdrive already, so it wouldn't make much sense to take it out. Maybe Superdrive equipped for ALL emacs is a possibility?

Comment

Raiden

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2002
$1399

Imagine that for 1299 with the educational discount. Or 1050 with the student developer discount. I would buy a computer like that for college.

Comment

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I think 933Mhz and 1 Ghz editions of the eMac and iMac would be great, but don't you think as long as they are at it, they should at least jump the bus speed from 100Mhz to 133Mhz? I think an i or eMac with a 1Ghz, 133Mhz bus would help it well against the consumer PC's.

Comment

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
see... if apple would be a TEENY bit more competitive with pricing... more sales.

They might lose some of the overhead... but ti would be made up in sales, and subsequently market share.

Comment

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
Hot Diggity Dang!!!

1 Ghtz iMac w/ 133Mhz bus speed, 17 inch wide screen, 512 ram, 64 vram, Superdrive, for $1799 or under and I'm buying 2.

I knew that if I waited something better would come along.

Gonna be switchin' baby!!!:D :D :D

Comment

Tue12

macrumors member
May 14, 2002
Re: iMac/eMac Bumps

Originally posted by Macrumors
Confirmation abounds that ...

That statement confirms my suspicions. He's been talking to himself in the mirror again. :D

Comment

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Touch screen overlays

touch screen overlays for the 19-22-23 cinema display, also doubles as an antiglare shield. 149-249 with software.
Osx never had it so good

Comment

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Bollocks!

see... if apple would be a TEENY bit more competitive with pricing... more sales.

They might lose some of the overhead... but ti would be made up in sales, and subsequently market share.

What sort of Empirical Evidence do you have to support such claims? Trust me Apple has a Marketing and Financial team that toss around a little more data than you have at your disposal. They know what their projected sales are versus Profits. We can second guess them but we're at a severe disadvantage.

I thinks it's almost a given for an eMac and iMac updates. A 19" iMac is doable but probably is not coming in Jan.

The iMac and eMac will have relatively small bumps IMO. I don't think apple can add too much proc speed without moving to the PPC970 on the Hi End.

Superdrives in everything possible would be the best thing. I'd like to see them in everything above the base model.

Comment

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Bollocks!

Originally posted by nuckinfutz

What sort of Empirical Evidence do you have to support such claims? Trust me Apple has a Marketing and Financial team that toss around a little more data than you have at your disposal. They know what their projected sales are versus Profits. We can second guess them but we're at a severe disadvantage.

I thinks it's almost a given for an eMac and iMac updates. A 19" iMac is doable but probably is not coming in Jan.

The iMac and eMac will have relatively small bumps IMO. I don't think apple can add too much proc speed without moving to the PPC970 on the Hi End.

Superdrives in everything possible would be the best thing. I'd like to see them in everything above the base model.

Who are you to jump on someone who probably has three times the marketing experience you do!

nuckinfutz, nuck off, ok loser?

Comment

pantagruel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2002
here and there
Originally posted by Megaquad
1GHz eMac? no thanks
those 800 mhz imacs/emacs are fast like powermacs@500 mhz, they all have some sort of crappy scaled down processors
performance in games is terrible compared to half cheaper pc's.. no support for secondary display
they all come with those superdrives? why would i want superdrive who reads cd's @ 24x and burns them @ 8x? Why cant they sell them with some 40x cdrw burner or 32x8x combo, why do they always put inferior stuff in it?

not to get personal but you sound like a grade a moron, first of all the point in having a superdrive is because it BURNS DVD'S!!!! otherwise if you just wanted to burn cds you would just get the combo drive, and its not "inferior" dumbass because all dvd-burner drives give up speed on burning cds and THEY DO SELL THEM WITH COMBO DRIVES not all of them are superdrives. Also there is support for secondary displays, I just got back from my cousings house who has a nice cinema display hooked up to his wonderful looking new 17" imac.! and the processor is not a crappy scaled down one, it performs damn well thank you and I have zero and I repeat zero issues with playing games. I probably sound real harsh but opinions are one thing and just not knowing what the hell you are talking about is another and you dont know squat.Also not everyone can afford the much more expensive powermacs or powerbooks.

I'm thinking of getting a new emac for a child and I would love to see a speed bump in them, it would only be fair for the iMacs to get an even faster speed bump though becaue you wouldnt want the emacs out performing the iMacs.

Comment

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Originally posted by pantagruel

not to get personal but you sound like a grade a moron, first of all the point in having a superdrive is because it BURNS DVD'S!!!! otherwise if you just wanted to burn cds you would just get the combo drive, and its not "inferior" dumbass because all dvd-burner drives give up speed on burning cds and THEY DO SELL THEM WITH COMBO DRIVES not all of them are superdrives. Also there is support for secondary displays, I just got back from my cousings house who has a nice cinema display hooked up to his wonderful looking new 17" imac.! and the processor is not a crappy scaled down one, it performs damn well thank you and I have zero and I repeat zero issues with playing games. I probably sound real harsh but opinions are one thing and just not knowing what the hell you are talking about is another and you dont know squat.Also not everyone can afford the much more expensive powermacs or powerbooks.

I'm thinking of getting a new emac for a child and I would love to see a speed bump in them, it would only be fair for the iMacs to get an even faster speed bump though becaue you wouldnt want the emacs out performing the iMacs.

Well, 1st off, he was talking about an 800 mHZ eMac therefore
your comment about how your cousin's 800 MHz iMac is void. I can
relate to what he is saying. THe eMacs seem slower then other
macs with the same amount of MHz.

Also not everyone can afford the much more expensive powermacs or powerbooks.

That's true. THat is why I got a PC. Why get a 700 MHz eMac when,
for the same price, I can get a 2,800 MHz PC? I didn't want that
slow eMac.... I wanted a computer that wouldn't be obsolete that
quick. (Or obsolete before I got it).

You might not have issues playing games on your iMac but I sure
don't on my PC and they run twice as well, and I got my 2.4 GHz
pentium 4 for $700. I am assuming your games are being played
on at least a $1,400 iMac? I can play games more then twice as
well on a machine that cost half as much...

Comment

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by Megaquad
1GHz eMac? no thanks

Ok hotshot, I have a 500Mhtz PowerMac with 1.5GB RAM, Radeon8500, 7200 drives and a DVDRW Superdrive.

Recently I used a 700Mhtz eMac with 128MB RAM and OS 10.1.4. In system responsiveness, App opening times and more, it KICKED MY POWERMAC'S ASS!

Go get a PC, it might suit you.

Comment

Megaquad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by pantagruel

First, my point was that having Superdrive is not worth of sacrificing CD/DVD reading speed and CD burning speed, they should have made a choice on all iMacs/eMacs to get FAST cd-rw, or faster combo drive (these apple offers are slow like hell).

If you think processor performs well, go take a 800 mhz PowerBook or PowerMac and compare, powerbook 800 will kick iMacs ass, check out benchmarks its at least 20% faster.
And if you think games run well on iMac then you dont know what gaming is, can you really say that you can play moh:aa, sof2,ghost recon etc. on high settings all max and get 50fps? (which is considered less then solid) what about upcoming UT:2k3? haha
By the way, 800 mhz tibook will have more then twice better framerates in anything.
GeForce 2 MX graphics? geez, that gpu was almost obsolete for year and half ago.
so everyone stop being such a zealots, put a 599$ pc next to hi-end eMac/iMac and watch how PC is 2.5+ times faster in everything and get a life. if you have low demands for your computer thats ok, but its annoying to pay so much money for so little processing power and tell others it is ok, because it is NOT.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.