iMac fan control after replacing hard disk with new Crucial M4 SSD 256GB

Discussion in 'iMac' started by steven.dat, Nov 6, 2011.

1. steven.dat macrumors newbie

HI guys, I'm new to the forum.

I have just replaced my standard 1TB hard disk in my iMac mid-2010 version with a Crucial M4 SSD 256GB. I remember the original hard disk had 3 cables connect to it, but after replacing, only 2 connect to the new SSD, the third one I guess is the thermal or heat control that connect to the fan system maybe, Im not 100% sure ...

Problem is now the iMac fan is running like crazy, maximum of is speed maybe, all day long if the iMac is on, sometimes I leave it running at night to download stuff and cant sleep because of the noise :( .... I tried to download SMCfancontrol but it shows 0C and 000rpm, I cant find my way around to fis this.

And I dont even play games or anything that max out the iMac capacity, I only use it for movies, music, Word and other small stuff, never heard too much noise before with the original standard hard disk.

Please help !!!!! cheers.

2. Marshalp macrumors newbie

Why didn't you keep the 1tb drive and install the ssd on the spare Sata controller on the motherboard? That way you could use the ssd as the boot drive and the original 1tb drive for storage.

It will also sort out the fan speed issues!

Read more here

http://www.btobey.com/learn/imac-ssd-install.php

3. Fozziebear40 macrumors regular

Fozziebear40

Isn't it easier just to replace the hard drive, you can get to it without removing the motherboard?

4. steven.dat thread starter macrumors newbie

agree, Im not really good at doing those stuff, took me and my friend a while just to replace the hard disk ... doing the whole process in the link you posted is quite a lot of work for me and I'm afraid I will screw things up ... thanks for the advice ... any other advices please guys !!!!