iMac for graduation (May)—think the 2012 model will be out?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OtakuLiz, Nov 26, 2011.

1. OtakuLiz macrumors newbie

I'm getting an iMac for my college graduation in May, because my poor baby—my 5-year-old MacBook—keeps scaring me senseless and acting like it's going to keel over any second. In short, it's dying.

Anyway, I've heard some people saying that the 2012 iMac will probably come out in March-April, and then others saying it'll probably be later in the year. So, which do you guys think is more likely—has any of the (limited) news suggested that the update might take longer this time? And if it isn't out come May, would you recommend asking for my relatives to wait on the graduation present, or just getting the last model? I'd really be kicking myself if the new iMacs came out right after I got one, but my baby really is dying, too. Of course, I don't have high hopes for getting decent work in this economy, degree or no degree, so this computer will probably have to last me four or five years.

I also don't know how far in advance Apple usually announces new models, so I don't know if not having news by May means it won't be coming until winter or that it could be here in June.

What do you all think?

2. OtakuLiz, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011

OtakuLiz thread starter macrumors newbie

I did see that, but I've seen some people saying that because of the purported "redesigns" the iMac would actually come later in the year. I was wondering if that sounded possibly accurate.

3. malman89 macrumors 68000

I have no idea about a redesign (or care, since I think it looks great as is), but the thing to look out for is the Ivy Bridge CPUs from Intel. Those are the latest processors that are expected to be rolling out Q2 2012. They might sneak out a little before that, but won't really ramp up until the main launch Q2 (last I heard).

Apple lately has had the newer CPUs a tad earlier than other manufacturers. I think you should be good for May if that holds true. If not, I would advise whoever is buying your iMac to hold off for a month or two if there's not an Ivy Bridge iMac by May. The upgrade should be pretty nice.

4. OtakuLiz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, I'll be keeping an eye out for that then. Thanks!

5. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

i heard rumors about a 15" MBA and some rumors about a newly designed MBP... but i haven't heard a thing about an iMac..
    but if it does, you will certainly find out :)

6. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

16gb ram/ 2tb hdd /quad i11 / touch screen/ usb 4.0/ 4 thunderbolt 2.1s / 256gb ssd std/ $899
    I swear I heard it from Steve in my dream last night!:p

7. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

I would bet that the new imac will be out before may

8. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

The Buyer's guide suggests: Probably.

I think they'd love to have an update ready for back-to-school, which tends to mean somewhere around June. If not, then at almost definitely by September-October for next year's Christmas shopping season.

Apple rarely pre-annouce hardware by much. When they announce a product it's usually available in less than a month.