iMac freezes on startup, want to make backup and start fresh?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by m.fuller, Jun 14, 2011.

1. m.fuller macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

My girl friends 2009 24" iMac started doing strange things lately, she says that she would be in safari and it would randomly freeze when she would open a new tab, the tab would appear but wouldnt load and then safari would freeze altogether.

Now its gotten to the stage where it boots and then Finder opens and stays frozen, I can force quit but it just opens back up in a frozen state, can not click anything on the desktop or the top bar, but I can still open applications but once they are open they do not recognise any commands, (cant do anything or click anything).

It was running Leopard so I upgraded it to SL and downloaded all the latest updates and that didnt fix it. So basically im at the stage where I want to wipe the thing clean and start again but she has some photos and music that she wants to keep and doesnt have a backup of (she now knows the importance of having an external HDD)

Anyway whats my best bet of backing up this data seeing as I cant actually do anything once its booted up? If i boot from the SL disk and open disk utility (which i have also used to do a disk repair etc which didnt help at all) can i just make an image of the drive to an external HDD and then wipe the HDD and install SL, then drag the files she wants from the image across? Or does an image not work like that?

It would be nice if the image would just appear as files on the HDD I copied it to that I could just drag an drop files she wants to keep onto the fresh install of SL.

Thanks.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Do you have a Mac? Or do you have access to another Mac? Target disk mode is probably your best bet.

P.S You don't have to use Firewire. Ethernet is probably easier.

3. m.fuller thread starter macrumors newbie

I do, I could hook up my MBP, thanks for the tip. My other option was to install SL onto an external HDD and boot from that, then transfer the files i want over from her iMac to the external installation then wipe the internal and install SL then repeat the process by transferring files form the external back onto the new install.

Going to try one of thsese this afternoon. Cheers

4. m.fuller thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, just letting you know it worked. Was really very easy, thanks for the advice.