Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iMac G3 DV randomly crashing/locking up after RAM upgrade... help?

ThomastheLinuxGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2020
I recently upgraded the RAM in my iMac G3 DV (PowerMac2,2) to its maximum of 1 GB. However, when trying to open the browser to test the performance improvement, all I got were kernel panics. I thought something was wrong with Tiger and tried to reinstall, however, every time I tried to reinstall it, the computer would either lock up and stop progressing or display the "You need to restart your computer" message during the install. For the inevitable questions, yes, the installer disc verified without any problems.

Oddly enough, under OS 9 I didn't have any of these issues and was able to confirm that the computer does in fact recognize the full 1 GB correctly. Even the system profiler on the Tiger install disc recognized the RAM, so I have no idea what's going on.

Any help to try and fix the problem would be much appreciated!

RumorConsumer

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2016
They're PC133 sticks, yes.
Honestly that would be where I’d start. You could technically use them but I remember some instability. I sold those retail and worked on them quite a bit. I’d try PC100. What you’re describing is consistent with the memory controller ******** a brick.

ThomastheLinuxGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2020
Honestly that would be where I’d start. You could technically use them but I remember some instability. I sold those retail and worked on them quite a bit. I’d try PC100. What you’re describing is consistent with the memory controller ******** a brick.

Hmm, alright. I guess for the meantime I'll put the old RAM back in there. So much for my $78... It always seems to work that way, you try to buy domestically to avoid long shipping times, but in the end it just isn't worth it sometimes. Hopefully I can get a return.

ThomastheLinuxGuy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2020
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.