iMac G5 17" iSight - Monitor Wont Turn On

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Jul 10, 2009.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

iMac G5 17" iSight
    1.83GHz
    2GB 667MHz SDRAM

My monitor has turned off and will not come back on. Clicking noises and a slow operating speed occurred a few days ago. I have tried this SMU Reset Process below:

from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1767?viewlocale=en_US

1. Turn off the computer by choosing Shut Down from the Apple menu, or by holding the power button until the computer turns off.

2. Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord.

3. Wait 10 seconds.

4. Plug in the power cord while simultaneously pressing and holding the power button on the back of the computer.

5. Let go of the power button.

6. Press the power button once more to start up your iMac.

Upon completing step 6, the computer turns on only to feature the fans spinning at maximum speed and still no monitor display.

Is this a Logic Board issue? The iMac was purchased for $1700 in 2006. Would repair costs be so high that just buying a new iMac would be the better way to go?

Thanks

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

It sounds similar to the logic board/power supply issue iMac's around that time had. Apple had a Repair Extension Program for them, but it has long since expired. The defect occurred in many of those iMac's in that time, but Apple no longer has the information posted at their REP section for serial numbers affected.

It would either be the power supply that burnt out in some fashion, or if it were the logic board that was affected, most of the time the damage was obvious with capacitors bloating and at seldom times having burst completely.

If you have one of those models that was affected by this, I would say it would not be worth it to fix it. While it can be done, the potential for getting another defect part from a third party supplier, or even from Apple is too high. Even Apple tried to pass off refurbished logic boards in less than ideal conditions to us. You might get a bad part right off the bat, or it could be prone to the same problem and die a week, a month, or a year after the fix.

3. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Damn

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

There is still a chance that yours isn't one of the models that was affected. I personally wouldn't fix it if it were one of those recalls, but otherwise if you could find a cheap enough LB or replacement machine it wouldn't be awful; I just wouldn't have too high of hopes for the machine.

The main factor is if it's cost effective to put money into it and expect it to say, last a year, or whether that money would be better spent/saved to be put into a new machine.

After that, most of the machines we did get with one of the problems, we would always go ahead and replace both parts, the power supply and LB, as often one part would fail with the other one failing sometime after. So I guess that's another reason not to.

5. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Alright, I'm going to bring it to the repair shop on Monday to get a second opinion.

Thanks for the help though.

6. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Well I brought the iMac in and got a call back the next day:

"We diagnosed the problem and we have ordered a new LOGIC BOARD for your iMac. You still have AppleCare on the iMac so there will be no charges at all. Your computer should be fixed within the day and we will call you then."