Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Hey everyone,

Turns out i need a powerful mac as my PowerBook whilst steller still struggles occasionally. Especially when dealing with HD.

Sooo i found a refurb Dual core PowerMac G5 for about £980 as opposed to the original £1399 and i know it'll come with extra RAM as most refurb Desktops do. I also found an iMac G5 2.1 GHz also a refurb for £870 which i'm considering. The iMac would be a better as i won't have to spring for a display with it like i would the PowerMac.

However i'm tempted to get the PM as it is expandable and they say two heads are better than one. Also the PowerMac will mostly likely have a better resale value than the iMac

What do you guys think?. Also for owners of these individual systems, whats your overall review of them and which is significantly noisier?

I'll be using either of the machines for basic computing such as web surfing, music, photos, mail etc as well as casual photoshopping, casual garageband and of course HD content (recording and viewing)

PS- Intel machines are out of the question. I tried intelitoshes and whilst they are capable machines they aren't for me....yet.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
I would buy the iMac, the screen is great very crisp and clear.

Fast, FrontRow, iSight, foot print etc ;)

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
vikas soni said:
I second that. Granted you`ve ruled out any intel config.

And I can third it. It is faster than any other Mac (except intel core duo in some cases and other PMs), and will work great. And the expandability you said. Also, you can just carry on the external display to your next computer if you wish. I would get that.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Thanx for the replies but i didnt act fast enough, the G5 is gone...someone obviously wanted it bad. Soo i'm stuck with the iMac

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Sorry to disagree Lee, but the iMac's faster bus speed, hard disk and memory will produce a major speed increase over the PowerBook.

As you say though, it won't be anywhere near as fast as the Power Mac. Daneoni, it's probably better if you wait. For video work, always get the fastest you can afford.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
dynamicv said:
Sorry to disagree Lee, but the iMac's faster bus speed, hard disk and memory will produce a major speed increase over the PowerBook.

As you say though, it won't be anywhere near as fast as the Power Mac. Daneoni, it's probably better if you wait. For video work, always get the fastest you can afford.

I know what you mean, but I personally have never noticed much difference (from a user point of view) between the G4 and G5 unless I were using a dual processor or dual-core G5 machine. That's just my personal experience. If he really wants a boost, dual PM is the only way to go with tons of RAM. And like you say, I would wait.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
leekohler said:
I know what you mean, but I personally have never noticed much difference (from a user point of view) between the G4 and G5 unless I were using a dual processor or dual-core G5 machine. That's just my personal experience. If he really wants a boost, dual PM is the only way to go with tons of RAM. And like you say, I would wait.

There isn't much difference until you start doing the real number crunching stuff like DVD rendering. Then the G5 really flies ahead, even in an iMac with the 3:1 clock speed ratio between processor and bus.

Anyway, considering we've both recommended the Power Mac, this is all academic. Can you tell I'm procrastinating about something? :)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
dynamicv said:
There isn't much difference until you start doing the real number crunching stuff like DVD rendering. Then the G5 really flies ahead, even in an iMac with the 3:1 clock speed ratio between processor and bus.

Anyway, considering we've both recommended the Power Mac, this is all academic. Can you tell I'm procrastinating about something? :)

Oh- well, I DO love my dual-core PM G5. :) You'll love one too. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.