Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terraform

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2004
Atlanta
Hello,

I bought an imac G5 a couple of months ago and it seems to be getting slower and slower. At first I rarely saw the spinning beachball now it comes up quite frequently. I only have 512 megs of ram. Should I upgrade to 1 gig? Any information you can offer to speed up my imac would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Don :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Have you tried emptying the "System Cache" and other cache such as Safari, etc.... that is usually one reason why the system slows down. Its the nature of Unix and Mac OS X in general.

Try a restart and it should be zippy again. :)

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I noticed the same thing a week ago.
Cleaning all the caches did not seem to do anything so I just reinstalled the OS and it is back to fast and smooth.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
If a restart, or logging out and logging back in don't do it.

Start up in Single User mode and run fsck, or use the CD/DVD and run Disk Utilities/Disk First Aid.

There are times the increasing appearances of the spinning beachball is the first sign of a coming flashing question mark (aka, machine no longer will boot) -- not worth the risk that there's a file system problem when it's soo easy to check.

terraform

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2004
Atlanta
slow no more

Thanks for all the replys! I did upgrade to 1 gig of ram and tried a couple of your suggestions. Seems to be back on track again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.