Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
I just got a new 17" 1.6 GHZ iMac, in the 6 days I have had it, it has frozen twice for no reason, the mouse cursor still moves but the screen and time are frozen. It is a off the shelf model with no add ons , I am still waiting for the 1gb RAM module to arrive, both times when it froze I had Safari open.
I just want to know if anyone has had similar problem of freezing or better yet, if anyone has a solution. I am a long time mac user and have never had major problems with Macs in the past, I would like it to remian that way

Thanks

:D

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
First repair permissions and reboot. This solves many common software problems.

Also contact Apple. There was a hardware problem with a few of the first units off the line. They will be happy to fix it or send you a repair kit if this is the source of your problems.

If it is not a hardware problem then start looking into Safari or a particular web site as a possible source of the problem. Try a different browser such as Opera or Firefox for a while and see if you still have problems. If so, then Safari is the culprit. You can trash your Safari preferences which may solve the problem.

Javascript errors also sometimes happen that can cause browsers to hang.

Web sites that are poorly designed may have code that depends on Internet Explorer and Windows. Such sites will cause problems for users of other operating systems or browsers. Contact the webmaster of the site and let them know about the problem.

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Same problem...

I have had my 20" for about a week and it has locked up about 5 times. I'm still waiting on my memory upgrade as well. Backorders! I really think it is the memory and Apple did really cripple the computer sending it with so little memory. Mine has always locked up when I was doing quite a bit at once. I'll let you know if the problem persists once the memory arrives, whenever that may finally be. Outpost.com get it together!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.