iMac G5s in 20+ custom colors with matching keyboards/mice

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This kind of paint work costs. But I read a review somewhere that said the work is done well, and worth the price. (Sorry, don't have the link.)

I found this at MacMinute and thought it was pretty cool. The iBooks and iPods look nice too.

I hope they paint the iMacs INSIDE the plastic, though--that thick glassy outer layer just looks too nice to waste, and we know from iBook modders that you CAN strip the white paint away and re-paint the inside.

But the iPod close-ups show paint outside. Hard to tell with the iMacs.

I think Apple could do well to offer at least primary colors for the iMac.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
How do they paint the Apple pro mouse? Is the outer plastic painted or did they paint the 'core' of it? (you can see this on the red iMac on the right)

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
I would really like to see one in person before I paid for one. The stock design and color already makes the machine, and I think it would be tough to improve upon. If the paint were not exposed (under plastic) I would probably go for it. I just hope they pay as much attention to detail as I do.

-superdrive

beefstu01

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2002
CA
The black (er sorry, graphite) PowerBook looks so tight. I'd never use it for fear of scratching it though, but it looks so awesome. It seems as if these guys do a good job.

alexf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2004
Planet Earth
nagromme said:
I think Apple could do well to offer at least primary colors for the iMac.
Yes, they should - I think they would be immensely popular. Part of the fun (and probably popularity) of the original iMac was the fact that you could select a color, making it more "personalized."

I think the different color selection is at least part of the reason for the overwhelming popularity of the iPod mini, which I still can't understand (how can anyone justify buying a mini when for only $50 more they can get 5 times as much capacity with a regular iPod? Color must have something to do with it!)

Colored iMacs would without a doubt be a hit. Apple, are you listening?

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
They look nice but it's hard to tell without seeing a proper photo -- did anyone find one on the site?
I agree with others on the price. Just a bit too much for most folk but it would be perfect for some fancy reception desk - just like the old iMacs were.

i_b_joshua

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I reckon they look pretty sweet, I can see some people going for this...just a shame about the steep price. If it's popular Apple might start offering their own versions, the G5 iMac design definitely lends itself to different colours. It's about time Apple started injecting some colour into their consumer machines again!

katanna

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
I want the Midnight...
But only if it is done well! (IE, not just a lousy paint job on the outside)
Also don't know if it is worth an extra 1/4th the price...

Matthew

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
beefstu01 said:
The black (er sorry, graphite) PowerBook looks so tight. I'd never use it for fear of scratching it though, but it looks so awesome. It seems as if these guys do a good job.
I read a review sometime back that said they were actually a lot more scratch resistant than the standard iPods. Plus that ColorWare puts a clear coat over the screen as well making it far more scratch proof. I'd love to have one, but I think I'll wait to see if this new 60GB color screen iPod becomes a reality first.

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
colorware does do some cool stuff, the two things that would scare me and keep me from purchasing one are: 1, warranty issues as in the extended from apple, because if the warranty is through them and they go belly-up you're screwed. 2, the paint job, how durable is it and how will it effect the resale value. don't know about everyone else, but i update my home mac at least once a year. i'd rather spend a couple hundred bucks a year to keep my mac hardware up to date, than wait 2-3 years and then be out $1000+, because the resale went to [bleep].

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Nice stuff -but I'd like to see real pics and not 3D renderings....

Don't know if I'd want to pay the price even for a black iMac :D

D

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
that kind of creeps me out that they don't have anything on that site about the kind of paint they use, how durable it is, and so on.