iMac goes black – need to unplug to restart

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jayco1983, Aug 9, 2018.

1. jayco1983 macrumors newbie

It's a late 2015 "27 retina iMac. I've had it for at least 2 years.

I ran into this problem for the first time while running Lightroom some two weeks ago. Basically, the screen goes black. I can't restart it or force a shutdown. I have to unplug the power chord and plug it in again before it'll start up again, and there are no error notices or anything.
    • I've done a diagnostic – no errors found.
    • I've reset the SMC and NVRAM. Doesn't help.
    • I found a youtube video of a guy describing the same issue and showing how he resolved it (ejecting the RAM then putting it back and restarting), but that didn't help me.
    I tried it out in safe mode for a few days, and then it seemed to work fine, but it's hard to tell because I can't really work in safe mode. Either way, did a complete reinstall of the system a few days ago and it's been working fine, until today. I installed Photoshop yesterday evening and after a few hours of work today it started happening again.

Sometimes it takes a while for it to occur, but when it starts acting up, it will do so often unless I let the computer be for a while.

A heating issue? Power? Suggestions?

2. AmazingRobie macrumors regular

Sorry to hear of your problem, but glad you posted the issue. Hopefully someone can actually help and it's not more of Apple's planned obsolescence at play. This stinks of Timothy Crook and Jonathen Conn-Ive-ing.

3. AndrsnH macrumors newbie

I've had a similar issue where mine would cut out/lose power/die at random intervals without warning and the only way to get it to turn back on was to physically remove the power cable from the back of the computer before attempting to restart.

I took mine in to the Apple Store (covered with AppleCare) in the UK and they were useless. They didn't diagnose the problem even after 3 visits. They replaced the power supply on the 3rd visit after I called AppleCare. The repair technician and the genius had a disagreement that the power supply was causing the issue.

The store managed to damage the stand of the computer, and also caused chipping to the enclosure.
    They replaced the stand, however managed to chip it a second time.
    They also caused chipping to the enclosure but refuse to acknowledge the damage despite the computer never leaving the Apple Store.
    I had a horrendous experience with one of the rudest managers I've ever spoken to who didn't care about my concerns.

Currently have the iMac at home in the box still chipped and I have no idea if the issue has been fixed.

4. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

I have a feeling you’ve been encountering the same problems as myself.

I am booked to visit Apple tomorrow because it’s still happening despite a replacement power supply unit.

Don’t know how you get on with yours but I find I can use mine for around half an hour (tops) before it goes on me.

The problem is more persistent if I ramp the display size up (so there’s more room) so I’m not sure if there’s an issue with the graphics chip OR High Sierra as it was fine with El Capitan/Sierra.

5. Expobill macrumors 6502a

when you say "i installed photoshop" what was the source, a DVD?
    Since we can't install photoshop, we need the entire CS# (i have CS4 & 3)
    maybe that photoshop might be funky.

6. AndrsnH macrumors newbie

Please let us know how you got on at the Apple Store!

I ended up making a complaint, the service has been abysmal.

The problem is completely random with mine, it happens with no warning. Can take weeks for it to happen, then it can happen ever 10 minutes. The Apple Store just don't seem to care. I'll give the display scaling a try and see what happens!

7. iGeek2014 macrumors 68000

Unfortunately something came up so I’ve had to reschedule for next week but I’ll be sure to let you know.

Part of me feels like taking it to the Apple Store and if it continues taking it back and leaving it there.