iMAC had trouble since day one, now APP expiring and iMAC is down

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kunalap, Jun 19, 2009.

1. kunalap macrumors newbie

2. fpar macrumors regular

If they wont give you a replacement, ask them to extend your applecare. Although after all those repairs they shod just be replacing it. John Lewis replaced my 2.5yr old mbp with new unibody wen the superdrive failed and the case warped. Good Luck.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...yeah, with all those problems I'm surprised you haven't gotten a newer replacement model...

4. kunalap thread starter macrumors newbie

great.

who is john lewis?

and any tips on how i handle this or what i say to them next.
    im just tired now and dont have so much time to spend on the phone with them.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

John Lewis is not a human being, it's one the biggest Apple resellers in UK.

6. harodude macrumors regular

Thread Starter....

I feel your pain with repairs, and how frustrating it can be NOT being taken care of.

I know that your PM is disabled right now, and I would like to share some contact info of an Applecare rep that should get you all squared away. I have had nothing but good experiences with them (MANY replacements)

Please get back to me!

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I recommend being cordial as possible, even the Genius Bar people get a little upset sometimes. Try emailing Steve...

8. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I know it's hard when dealing in such an annoying subject, but try as hard as you can to be as nice as possible. The person you're talking to has probably dealt with harsh temperaments all day, so they'll often respond positively to a little gratitude.

Secondly, remind them that every repair is costing them money, and that you will continue to use this mac as long as the warranty is in effect and the computer is in operation, and that it would be cheaper to just send you a replacement unit in the long run.

If that doesn't work, speak to a supervisor and tell them the same thing.

It definitely seems like you have a case of lemon. I wouldn't let this go. Don't let them decide, either. Take a stand.

9. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Really? I have nothing but great things t say about apple customer service. the best is that they replaced a 6 year old ibook for me because the logic board died. It didnt even have extended apple caree so it was out of warrenty by 5 years.

10. kunalap thread starter macrumors newbie

holy crap. i think im having an anxiety attack.

how the hell do i enable PMs? i cant find it anywhere.

im literally laughing at myself here.

must......break.....something.....

11. harodude macrumors regular

USER CP upper left of this page...
    Edit options button upper left on page

Enable Private messaging check box...
    :)

12. kunalap thread starter macrumors newbie

nop. checked it about 5 times till now. no "enable private messaging" check box anywhere.

i signed up recently. do i have to wait a couple of days until its enabled?

u could email me at kunalap @ hotmail . com too.

ok. read the faqs. i gotta have atleast 5 posts.

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The problem with Dual Layer DVDs was probably that a DVD writer built in 2006 was never capable of writing them in the first place. In that case, it wouldn't be a fault, it would be what you bought at the time, which isn't as good as what you would get today.

Now I didn't notice that your AppleCare is _close_ to expiring, and not expired. In that case, if you bring them an iMac that has problems even one day before AppleCare expires, they have to return a properly working iMac back to you. I think they also would have to give you a certain amount of warranty for repaired parts (so if they replaced for example a broken hard drive, and the new one dies two days later, I believe they would need to fix it even though AppleCare expired).

14. kunalap thread starter macrumors newbie

but its specification states it writes at 1x or 2x speed.
    imac is still with the apple guys and even they have failed to write DL DVDs so far.

they couldnt write dvds at more than 1x speed too. then they replaced the drive - twice. Which fixed the problem.

But the DL problem remains and they now want to replace the logic board to fix it.

sorry, but who is steve?

and i guess i should have mentioned this before - im in India.

the toll free customer care people transfer me to customer relationship in europe who then say that asia replacements are taken care by australia people. the australia female just flat out says NO NO NO.

15. SG1-1 macrumors member

OP, Fraud's Not a nice thing, Even if you Can't afford It.

Posted By OP on Mat 13 2009 "MacRumors Forums"

POSTED: May 13, 2009, 04:40 AM

BY:kunalap
    macrumors newbie

iMac getting old. Replace under AppleCare?

Hi.
    I'd like to get this out first that I know its sneaky and not-right to do what I'm about to ask. So please deal with this with a pinch of salt.

I have the old white 17" iMac (which I love). I bought it just 6 or 10 months (Sept 2006??) before the aluminium ones came out.

Since then, it failed once at which point since it was under AppleCare, they kind of replaced the whole "innards" or the iMac.

Looking at that, I decided to extended my AppleCare to 3 years.

This September, the extended AppleCare runs out too. So I'm hoping my iMac crashes or something very very bad happens to it so that either one of the two things happen:

1. I get a fresh clean on to start out with again
    2. They give me a fresh aluminium look iMac, and since it doesn't come in 17" anymore, I'd be getting a 20" one.

Now here is the silly question, how can I get it to crash to extent that it is beyond repair or parts replacement?

I'm already having a few problems like its getting slow, cd writting fails 2 out of 5 times, double layer dvds cannot be written at all, etc.

Any suggestions? (don't tell me to buy a new one because I simply cannot afford it).

Cheers.

To Op kunalap,

Not to be critical but with this last post you made on the 13 of May, And even the last poster on that previous post pointed out,trying to scam Apple or anyone is questionable.

But After seeing the last post you made close to a month ago really makes me question you sincerity about your posts.

I felt like the other posters, Apple should take care of it, But then i had found this post you made on the 13 of May,

I can NOT and will not feel sorry for you, trying to get something for Nothing, Looks as if you are deliberately Causing these problems to get a new system.

But obviously your Machine has run it's course and you don't want to pay for a new one.

Apple keeps Detailed records and it seems that Apple has put a "RED" check mark by your purchase and repair History, They have done there bit, and believe it or not, if you did sabotage your system a few time's, They are AWARE of it without a doubt.
    It seems more clear that Apple under those circumstances would replace your system with a new one, but I think they are aware of more then what you have told us.

Apple Care will give you a New SYSTEM after 3 Repair visits for the Same Problem, but there is more going on.
    And it really doesn't matter what we think, You need to deal with them.

But trying to get Sympathy and just outright blaming Apple that they are not giving you what you deserve..

Well after your Post on the 13th asking other Users how to break your system to get a new ONE..
    YOU ARE GETTING WHAT YOU DESERVER... Karma will get you every time.

16. kunalap thread starter macrumors newbie

hold on hold on.

ur right only about one thing here..... "karma".

i had thought of the post i made, but it was only a thought.
    i have no technical knowledge of how the make a DVD writer at 1x speed and not able to write DL DVDs.

neither am i capable of creating a line of dead pixels on the screen which warranted all these repairs in this month.

the whole point of my earlier post was that i had a fault imac which kept having problem at regular intervals and im 90% i will have problems again after my APP expires in 3 months. ive mentioned this to apple guys too.

so, to summarize, i know how it all looks and sounds - but its not. im not sure how to convince anyone, but its not.

its just karma that its all really happening.

17. SG1-1 macrumors member

Like I said, you Don't need to convince me... What you wrote was obvious and you did not state it was a thought you had.

You might be a Great person, But the obvious is in black and white. Im not your judge. and regardless like I said it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, I just saw the previous post.

I wish you well

18. kunalap thread starter macrumors newbie

u cant say "im not ur judge" after making all those posts and accusations in public.

thats just very convinient.

everyone has a bizzare thought once in a while. that one was mine. it didnt mean id actual act on it. neither am i proud of it.

i have taken care of that imac like a baby. it was my most prized possession. and if replacement fails, i will continue taking care of it the way i used to.

i even mentioned the problems that ive reported to apple right now (dvd writer) in my old post which is causing the logic board replacement this time around.

oh well...

19. SG1-1 macrumors member

u cant say "im not ur judge" after making all those posts and accusations in public.

Lets get something Correct here at no time Have I made Accusations as you state.

I Just Posted What you Said on May 13 2009 on Another POST here at MacRumors.

You Said it I didn't.

YOUR POST SAID

"I'd like to get this out first that I know its sneaky and not-right to do what I'm about to ask. So please deal with this with a pinch of salt.

I have the old white 17" iMac (which I love). I bought it just 6 or 10 months (Sept 2006??) before the aluminium ones came out.

Since then, it failed once at which point since it was under AppleCare, they kind of replaced the whole "innards" or the iMac.

Looking at that, I decided to extended my AppleCare to 3 years.

This September, the extended AppleCare runs out too. So I'm hoping my iMac crashes or something very very bad happens to it so that either one of the two things happen:

1. I get a fresh clean on to start out with again
    2. They give me a fresh aluminium look iMac, and since it doesn't come in 17" anymore, I'd be getting a 20" one.

Now here is the silly question, how can I get it to crash to extent that it is beyond repair or parts replacement?

I'm already having a few problems like its getting slow, cd writting fails 2 out of 5 times, double layer dvds cannot be written at all, etc.

Any suggestions? (don't tell me to buy a new one because I simply cannot afford it).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Don't try to turn this around, Fact's are Facts, You made that post, Now trying to turn it around and get sympathy is Down Right Childish and Not Taking Responsibility.

Fact's are it was Deceitful, And you wrote it,
    No accusations in public as you said. How can a fact of someone writing sometime and being called out on it be classified as an Accusation

Moving on kid, Good Luck

20. kunalap thread starter macrumors newbie

wow!

and take it easy. ur the one getting worked up. just relax. jeez uncle.